why do people hate the brummy accent so much?

TIM   Wednesday, January 07, 2004, 14:13 GMT
hello. in my experience everybody i have spoken to hates, dislikes or are unimpressed by the brummy accent. why? if it is because people think it makes u sound stupid, i disagree. if anything it gives character to an otherwise characterless city.
Simon   Wednesday, January 07, 2004, 14:53 GMT
Because it was an industrial backwater. And your accent reminds them of that.
TIM   Friday, January 09, 2004, 11:30 GMT
fair point. but i dont believe that because it was once an industrial backwater people should automatically judge people who live there. it is no longer an industrial backwater but the second city in britain, surely that commands some kind of respect? the city is a great place and people should talk to its inhabitants before judging them. it is not about how people say things it is what they are saying that counts
Paulv   Friday, January 09, 2004, 16:55 GMT
What is a Brummy? I gather it is an Englishman from some lower local, distant from the S.W.
Eastie   Saturday, January 10, 2004, 03:34 GMT
A brummy or brummie is a person from Birmingham, England in the West Midlands.
Ben   Sunday, January 11, 2004, 17:14 GMT
I think it's intonations just irritate some people, without wishing to pass judgement on the people who speak it. I think everyone is irritated by some sort of accent, whether they like it or not.
Simon   Monday, January 12, 2004, 14:24 GMT
Isn't Glasgow the second city of Britain? And what about Manchester? But I liked Birmingham when I went there but found it lacked a certain charm.
Adam   Tuesday, January 13, 2004, 04:23 GMT
What is Brummie accent like? I've never heard it, is it similar to cockney accent?
Simon   Tuesday, January 13, 2004, 09:41 GMT
Not really. Type International Dialects of English Archive into Google. You should be able to find your way to a Brummie (Birmingham) accent. I suppose it is the Birmingham equivalent of Cockney.
Connie Chan   Saturday, January 17, 2004, 18:01 GMT
They hate it because they dunno how!
ozzy ozborn   Sunday, January 18, 2004, 03:19 GMT
ozzy ozborn speaks brummie
Ryan   Monday, January 19, 2004, 18:28 GMT
Well, but not every Brummie sounds talks in Ozzy's drug-slurred speech patterns. :-) But his overall sentence intonation is definitely Brummie.

I was in Birmingham last week and while a lot of improvements have been made, I think that the area overall still needs more landscaping as it certainly doesn't have London's charming architecture to help it out.
yo   Wednesday, January 28, 2004, 18:41 GMT
why do poeple have accents????