Primer sentences in your language

Tom   Saturday, January 10, 2004, 14:54 GMT
In Poland, the first sentence children learn to read at school is "Ala ma kota" ("Alice has a cat.")

Is there a well-known "primer" sentence (or a few sentences) in your country/language?

I know that in the United States it's something like "See Dick. See Dick chase Jane. See Jane run."
Jordi   Saturday, January 10, 2004, 15:25 GMT
Why on Earth do all the foreigners who learn French know the sentence "La plume de ma tante" (my aunt's pen or rather my aunt's feather, or perhaps both?). Who started the whole affair. If anyone finds out please let us know.
Miquel   Saturday, January 10, 2004, 18:06 GMT

Or "my taylor is rich", when we begin to learn english.

Miquel
mjd   Sunday, January 11, 2004, 03:02 GMT
I don't think this is a primer sentence, but there is the famous "the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain."
pobre_diablo   Sunday, January 11, 2004, 21:12 GMT
Well i dont know about english. Its my third language :-)
Miquel   Sunday, January 11, 2004, 22:41 GMT

In spanish: "mi mamá me ama".
Clark   Monday, January 12, 2004, 00:09 GMT
Ta tante t'attends dans ta tente.
MJGR   Monday, January 12, 2004, 09:29 GMT
Another typical first sentence in Spanish, similar to that proposed by Miquel is "Mi mamá me mima". I think the translation is "My mummy spoils me" but in a good sense, something like "My mummy takes care of me".
Victor Hugo   Monday, January 12, 2004, 09:34 GMT
Gall, amant de la reine, alla, tour magnanime,
Galamment de l'arène à la tour Magne, à Nîmes.

lol
Guilhem   Tuesday, January 13, 2004, 03:15 GMT
La pluma de ma tanta es sul pupitre de mon oncle.

Mon paire qu'ei a la vinha. Ma maire qu'ei au casau.

Aquestes persècs son los melhors que ai manjat.
David Bosch   Tuesday, January 13, 2004, 04:14 GMT
The verb 'mimar' in spanish means to give a child 'more than he or she deserves.'

For instance, when mummy and kid are walking an aisle in the supermarket and this kid sees one toy he wants, he begs to his mum 'oh please mum, buy me that toy', and the mum who 'mima' says 'of course sweetheart, whatever my little angel wants', even though the kid throws it and forgets it two hours later.

That is mimar.

Hope it helped.
Jim   Tuesday, January 13, 2004, 04:37 GMT
Perhaps it's just because my memory doesn't stretch back that far but I don't believe that there ever was a standard first sentence that children learn to read at school in Australia. As far as I know, it's all up to the individual teacher.
Jim   Tuesday, January 13, 2004, 04:41 GMT
However, "The cat is on the mat." rings a bell but I don't think that it has any official (nor even any unofficial) status as a "primer sentence" nor can I even remember whether or not it was the first sentence I learnt to read at school. As for "See Dick. See Dick chase Jane. See Jane run.", it rings no bells but I'm not American.
Jordi   Tuesday, January 13, 2004, 05:18 GMT
I think Guilhem should have told you that those sentences are in Occitan the language of Southern France different to the French language of Victor Hugo. He obviously speaks o his aunt's pen (literally feather) on top of his uncle's desk in the first one. La colonisation franchimanda la podem veire, Guilhem, tamben en la frase que emplechas.