Terms for fizzy drinks

Steve   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 04:13 GMT
There sure are a lot of terms for fizzy drinks. In the United States the most common term for a fizzy drink is a ''soda''.
Jim   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 04:23 GMT
Australia: softdrink
Canada: pop
Andrew J.   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 05:07 GMT
In most of the US it's "soda", but in the Midwest it's also "pop", in parts of New England it's "tonic", and in the South it's "coke". (That goes for all sodas, even Pepsi.)
Adam   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 12:53 GMT
Scotland- ginger.

In the rest of the UK they call it pop.
Steve   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 21:10 GMT
I use ''Coke'' only when referring to Coca-cola or some unknown brand of cola. I call all fizzy drinks ''sodas''. It would sound odd to me to hear something like ''Dr. Pepper or Mountain Dew or Kountry Mist'' called a ''coke''.
In the area that I live in when people say ''pop'' they mean ''pop music''.
Steve   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 21:19 GMT
The General American term for a fizzy drink is a ''soda''. It's called a ''pop'' in Michigan.
jan   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 21:21 GMT
I always wondered what a figgy fizzy was. Anybody know?
mjd   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 21:25 GMT
Here in the American Northeast they're called sodas, but as Steve mentioned it's called pop in some other parts of the countries. The term "softdrink" is often used commercially (McDonald's etc.).

I only refer to colas as "cokes" (generally Coca-Cola). I would never call Mountain Dew, Sprite, or any non-cola "a coke."
mjd   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 21:27 GMT
*EDITING: "in some other parts of the COUNTRY...." (not "countries).
wassabi   Thursday, January 15, 2004, 05:31 GMT
wouldn't that be kinda confusing if everyone says..."coke" all the time
Alice   Thursday, January 15, 2004, 07:48 GMT
I definately say "soda" but two of my roomates, (on from Ohio, one from Pennsylvania), say "pop". We always sort of jokingly argue about which is more common, or more correct. I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to a non-cola as a "coke".
Adam   Thursday, January 15, 2004, 16:38 GMT
Yeah. In the UK (except Scotland), "pop" means both a fizzy drink and popular music.
Simon   Thursday, January 15, 2004, 17:00 GMT
Does pop really mean fizzy drink in the UK? It never has done for me, although it did for my parents.