American...or Canadian communcation

Connie Chan   Saturday, January 17, 2004, 18:08 GMT
I want to learn the way of native american speaking style. what i mean is like. when people say "hey, what's up". what should i say next, other than saying "nothin" or "nothing, what about you."
And also the jokes they usually talk. I wonder where they could find all these jokes from because I want to know them, and understand them.
pobre_diablo   Sunday, January 18, 2004, 02:24 GMT
when someone says to you "what's up", the answer is "nothing much" or "not much", unless, of course, you wanna say something different which is relevant to the situation like "i'm tired" or something :)
wassabi   Sunday, January 18, 2004, 21:34 GMT
watch alot of TV shows to get an idea of things to say.
Connie Chan   Wednesday, January 21, 2004, 03:01 GMT
what if you don't have TV (it just an example) ?
And is there any excellent website that I could get in and learn?
Bastige   Thursday, January 22, 2004, 02:34 GMT
"what if you don't have TV (it just an example)?"

Then buy one. It's the 21st century for godsakes.
Jim   Thursday, January 22, 2004, 03:57 GMT
Just because it's the 21st century doesn't mean that you should have a TV. What if you don't want one? What if you can't afford one?
Patty   Thursday, January 22, 2004, 12:28 GMT
TV is the great equalizer...it makes everybody stupid. As for learing native American speech, I would advise finding some real, live Americans to talk to. I know that when I travel for instance, I would really be delighted if I were approached and asked to be a speaking partner. The subtleties of spoken english just couldn't be put into a web-page I think.
Paul   Thursday, January 22, 2004, 17:35 GMT
"what's up" or "what's happening"
is a polite way to find out if you are busy or pre-ocuppied with something else. If you say "not, much", or "I am waiting for such and such." it means you are probably receptive to small talk. If you say "I am busy, right now",
the speaker will disconnect or arrange to talk later.
That is why there is a standard response. It is more of a Small talk ritual than a request for information.
Paul   Thursday, January 22, 2004, 17:42 GMT
"I am tired" means I am not that receptive to talking, but maybe you can tell me a little Gossip, or a Joke. It's just to keep the lines of communication open. Should always have a joke, funny story or comment about weather available for just this situation.
Regards, Paul V.
Connie Chan   Saturday, January 24, 2004, 18:30 GMT
I tried read drama books/script) to learn the way the American/Canadian talk. I sometimes find out only the subject i like would understand most, even it's hard. But the subject that are easy, well than i find out it's hard for me to understand.
Paul   Sunday, January 25, 2004, 17:28 GMT
Connie
In your message, it should be "I would most like to understand, even if it's hard."