How is SuperMemo different from reading?

debasish dutta   Thursday, January 22, 2004, 23:14 GMT
I have read almost all your information regarding SuperMemo. Now I have come to a conclusion that it is a very interesting aspect of learning and I have understood to some very extent.

But there is a confusion in my mind that how it is different from reading a dictionary. I mean to say if I study a word or two in alternate day in a week I will definitely remember the word for along time and if I use it regularly I will remember it in my whole life. This is natural.

Again how long SuperMemo will help the learner to reach its minimum level of knowledge?
Tom   Thursday, January 22, 2004, 23:17 GMT
Hello,

SuperMemo takes care of the reviews for you. You don't have to remember to open the dictionary and review a particular word. When you want to review thousands of words in a systematic way, traditional methods like vocabulary lists, flashcards, etc. take too much time.
Only SuperMemo lets you keep 5,000 words in your memory by reviewing only 30 words per day.

Of course, you don't have to learn in a systematic way at all. You can just read books or do whatever you feel like doing.
However:

1. I think it's important to use varied learning methods. That way, you can spend more time on learning without getting bored. The combination of "reading books + watching TV + making your own SuperMemo collection + reviewing items with SuperMemo" has proved to be very effective for learners.

2. SuperMemo enforces regular learning, because you have to run it every day.

3. You may simply run out of interesting things to read. With SuperMemo, you can continue to make progress anyway, as the software will give you something to do every day.

4. Sometimes there are really useful phrases/words that won't stick in your head, even after you look them up repeatedly. SuperMemo reduces the frustration that can result from forgetting. It gives you a sense of purpose -- you feel you're not learning all these words in vain.

5. SuperMemo lets you effectively eliminate your mistakes. When you make a mistake, add the correct sentence to SuperMemo and the software will make sure it sticks in your head.
Boy   Saturday, January 24, 2004, 22:18 GMT
Tom,

I have searched a freeware software on the net which helps learners to memorize words. Please check it out. Tell me how it is different from the SM. I'm actually enjoying to use it nowadays. The software name is 'language box' which is really easy to use and it is free of cost. ;-)

Go to: http://invincible.hypermart.net/html/softwares/index.html
Tom   Sunday, January 25, 2004, 12:05 GMT
It doesn't use increasing intervals between reviews -- it looks like it just makes you review stuff at fixed intervals. When you add something like 2,000 words, this will probably be a problem -- you will be overloaded with reviews.

Besides, is there enough space to enter sentences?
Boy   Sunday, January 25, 2004, 14:42 GMT
<Besides, is there enough space to enter sentences? >

Nope. There is not enough space to enter the sentences. I'm actually memorizing words and their definitions by looking at their pictures. This sort of study is not looking overdone. Indeed, there is no comparison between this software and that SM. The latter one has many interesting features and provides too much space to adjust your work according to your wish.
I thought I would share the aforementioned with you and wanted to know your views. If it was okay to use, for those who can't afford to buy anything over the net, would benefit atleast something from it.
OO   Sunday, January 25, 2004, 15:53 GMT
Actually, SuperMemo 7 can be downloaded for free from SuperMemo's Web site.
Boy   Sunday, January 25, 2004, 21:49 GMT
OO,
Could you please paste the exact link where English learners can load it?
OO   Monday, January 26, 2004, 03:40 GMT
Go to http://supermemo.com/articles/soft/sm7.htm

The download links are at the bottom of the page.