the use of -like- in informal speaking

hindoussa   Monday, January 26, 2004, 14:56 GMT
i dont know what -like- means when you say (she was like having all kind of fun).
Check this out   Monday, January 26, 2004, 20:12 GMT
Also   Monday, January 26, 2004, 20:56 GMT
http://www.bartleby.com/61/79/L0167900.html

'be like Informal To say or utter. Used chiefly in oral narration: And he's like, “Leave me alone!” '

'Along with be all and go, the construction combining be and like has become a common way of introducing quotations in informal conversation, especially among younger people: “So I'm like, ‘Let's get out of here!’” As with go, this use of like can also announce a brief imitation of another person's behavior, often elaborated with facial expressions and gestures. It can also summarize a past attitude or reaction (instead of presenting direct speech). If a woman says “I'm like, ‘Get lost buddy!’” she may or may not have used those actual words to tell the offending man off. In fact, she may not have said anything to him but instead may be summarizing her attitude at the time by stating what she might have said, had she chosen to speak. See Notes at all, go1. '
like totally!   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 03:11 GMT
Something used by American kids who never learn to speak properly!
Christian S.   Monday, February 02, 2004, 23:41 GMT
The previous message says the truth. I fear that the "be like" construction has spread to the Commonwealth, but I do not know the extent to which "be like" has replaced "to say" and "to go".
Eastie   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 00:13 GMT
If you have the means to do so, follow the link below, click on California1.mpg (warning: it's a large file), and listen to how this Valley Girl speaks. Notice how many "like"s she throws in her dialogue. Not only does she use "like" to mean "(I/he/she) said" but she also uses it to punctuate her sentences, to fill in pauses and gather her thoughts, and as a precursor to adjectives (e.g. "it was, like, gross!"). Notice also the "upswing" of her sentences, which sounds like she's either asking a question or not so sure of what she's saying. This is a phenomenon that linguists call "Uptalk."

These are examples of how NOT to speak, but unfortunately, many young Americans follow this pattern of speech.

http://www.ku.edu/%7Eidea/california.html