New words.

KNS   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 15:28 GMT
evrybody Hi!

My namy is Nadia. I live in Russia. I want to learn the English, but I don't know How can I do it. Especially I don't know How can I learn new world.
Can anybody give me advice. What shall I do?

lots of love,
KNS
Shogo   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 15:37 GMT
If you want to improve either your writing, listening, reading or speaking, all i can suggest to you is to input a lot of english through movies, books, tv programs, or anything. and if you want to increase your vocabulary, reading is definately the best way.(although you have to make sure you got the proper pronunciation for each new word you come across... cuz maybe you cant recognize the word you learned through reading, when you actually hear it used in spoken language.) and you can always try to use the new word you've just leaned, and see if people understand you.
Listening to a lot of english will also help, though you have to make sure that you're "listening", not just "hearing" it. you have to try to understand what's being said. it may be hard at first, though.

in fact im still an english learner and my english is still far from perfect, but those are the best ways to learn english from my experience.
frenchi   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 15:37 GMT
Hi Nadia,

correction : world = earth, i suppose you meen "word".

1 You can start to watch american & british channels if you can do it of course.
2At second you need to travel and......................speak.
3Go to school
english teacher   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 15:38 GMT
any questions?
KNS   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 16:03 GMT
1 You can start to watch american & british channels if you can do it of course.
I fink it is difficult for me.
2At second you need to travel and......................speak.
So do I. But now I study at the university. It is important thing for me and I can't travel.
What do you think about?

3Go to school - late for me.

I need to speak to anybody. but how can I do it?
I dont know no-body. who can speak and dont do mistakes.
Pronunciation. What can I do?

Please, give me advice!

KNS
KNS2@yandex.ru
Lavoisel   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 21:24 GMT
Hello KNS,

I think most of the advice we could give you are already (very well) explained in this site.

http://www.antimoon.com/how/howtolearn.htm
Lavoisel   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 21:32 GMT
By the way, I know I'm being off topic here but I strongly advise you not to write your email the normal way in order to avoid to be registred by the spammer bots of the net.

You may prefer to write your address this way: KNS2 AT YANDEX DOT RU. This would spare you from many spams.
Paul V.   Monday, February 02, 2004, 16:45 GMT
If you learn the ASCII phonetic alphabet on this site, in the pronunciation section, we will be able to answer your pronunciation questions.
And if you don't mind using an American standard, we can teach you a little bit of American English pronunciation. The British standard is more difficult.
To get you started I will write the sample sentence, "The quick brown fox jumped over a lazy dog." in ASCII phonetic letters.

TH.. kwik braun foks j^mpt Oav.r .. leizi da:g.
It is very simple to use.

Regards, Paul
Paul   Monday, February 02, 2004, 16:56 GMT
Sorry it should be

TH.. kwik braun foks j^mpt Ouv.r .. leizi do:g.
Tom   Monday, February 02, 2004, 17:55 GMT
Actually it's:

TH.. kwik braun foks dZ^mpt 'Ouv..r .. 'leizi(:) do:g.

(In BrE, it would be [dog])

Now, I think we've shown the world how simple it is to use the ASCII Phonetic Alphabet and that learners need not be intimidated :)
Ci   Monday, February 02, 2004, 21:42 GMT
Don't worry, it's much easier for you to learn English than for the rest of the world to learn Russian!!! You can buy any Self study book with tapes or CDs and work on it. You can chat on internet with American people or even get a pen pal (maybe you find a boy friend, get married and learn English very easily... Not a bad idea!). There are some lab tapes you can use to improve your English. A very good way to memorize the words is to learn 10 new words every day and write sentences, short stories, whatever, with them...
Jim   Monday, February 02, 2004, 23:44 GMT
... In BrE, AustE, NZE, etc. it would also be ['Ouv..].
Shogo   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 01:00 GMT
I thought the r is usually pronounced when it's followed by a vowel, in this case a(over a...) unless there's a pause between them...?
Tom   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 02:12 GMT
Correct. Jim, you forgot about the "a" after "over".
Paul   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 17:16 GMT
Looks like we lost Nadia.
Here is another sample sentence that uses the ASCII "j" letter.

"A thin young beige wolf ate 4 large rats."
.. thin j^N beiZ wUlf eit fO..r la:rdz rats.

I wasn't sure about 4. It wasn't in the table.
Shame we can't use y as a homonym for j.
as y isn't used for anything in ASCII.

Regards, Paul V.