Please let me know the appropriate word.

Imran   Saturday, January 31, 2004, 19:10 GMT
I teach English at a school in Karachi, Pakistan. When some teacher is off, the school administration has to send another teacher in his/her class to maintain the classroom discipline. All the teachers call that period ''arrangement'' or ''fixture''. I did my level best to find out these words in dictionaries in the above context but failed. Please tell me the right word and don't forget to point out my mistakes if you see any in this text.
Eastie   Saturday, January 31, 2004, 19:35 GMT
I've never heard "arrangement" or "fixture" used in this context.

A teacher who goes on leave for an extended period of time is "on sabbatical", "on leave of absence", or simply "on leave".

A "substitute teacher" is someone who is "substituting for" or "subbing" (informal) for a teacher who is absent.

I guess you could call this whole transitional period an "arrangement". It works for me.
imran   Saturday, January 31, 2004, 21:41 GMT
Here 'PERIOD' means a class a teacher has to teach i,e just for 40 minutes. This length of time which lasts for 40 minutes is called ''arrangement'' or 'fixture' otherwise those classes are assigned to a subtitute teacher in case of extended leave.
Hope you get my point.
Boy   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 02:03 GMT

1) Arrangement classes are those classes which do not come into a regular time table of teachers. In other words, they are called "extra" classes to cover up the full course. Let's say, If a teacher is not unable to cover their course in their limited time of period, then they can schedule them later whenever they feel suitable. Or in case

2) A "substitute teacher" is someone who is "substituting for" a teacher who is absent. This whole transitional period/class is called an "arrangement".

I guess you could switch the word with "extra".
Boy   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 02:11 GMT
If a teacher is not *able* ..
Paul V.   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 17:49 GMT
In Canada, if a substitute teacher takes over class and he does not have access to the original teachers Lesson plan for that days class, he would declare the class to be a Study Hall, and allow the students to do individual study or finish Homework in the classroom. He would remain in the classroom only to ensure attendance and good discipline. He would also be available to answer simple questions.
He would not use those 2 words for such an arrangement. Anyway, it would not be an arrangement between 2 teachers. The Principal/Headmaster would arrange to get a Substitute or supply teacher from the school board.
Regards, Paul V.
Jim   Monday, February 02, 2004, 00:23 GMT
Yeah, you'd be "subbing" or "filling in" for the other teacher. I don't know that the period for which you'd be substituting would be given any particular name. You 'd just call it a period you have to fill in or substitute for.
Imran   Monday, February 02, 2004, 09:33 GMT
Perhaps you folks must be thinking I'm too hung up about this matter, but in fact all the teachers are supposed to record what they have taught daily in relation to classes they take after the school finishes in a note book called ''teacher's diary'' which is checked by the principal or headmaster later. So in the column of period the teachers write ''arragement'' or ''arrangement period'' which means that he/she had to go in place of the absent teacher no matter what they did in that class or period. The main purpose is to keep the pupils busy as Paul V from Canada has told us.
So I've been in search of the most appropriate word.
Paul   Monday, February 02, 2004, 16:29 GMT
Arrangement Class is a good word for it. We just don't use that word in Canada. I don't know what we would call such a class. Sometimes the Library or auditorium is set up as a Study hall, and students without an
assigned class would sent to the study hall. It is at the Principals or
Headmasters discretion. We have a word or that.
Occasionally, he will take over the class himself, until the Substitute teacher arrives.

Regards, Paul V.
Boy   Monday, February 02, 2004, 17:57 GMT
Imran, ''arrangement class'' sounds better imho.