Accents of some famous stars

Nick   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 19:46 GMT
Hello Everyone!! can you pick up the accents of some famous people? Does Julia Roberts has a californian accent like Jennifer Aniston? What about Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Mariah Carey, Robin Williams, John Travolta...etc etc????
Elaine   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 05:13 GMT
Most Hollywood actors take voice lessons to neutralize whatever regional accents they have. Julia Roberts, for instance, is from Smyrna, Georgia, so her native accent is Southern. She now speaks with a standard AmE accent, but sometimes you'll hear traces of her Southern-ness.

Jennifer Aniston - standard AmE. Her husband, Brad Pitt - standard AmE
Tom Cruise - standard AmE
Nicole Kidman - Aussie, but she puts on a whole range of accents in her films.
Mariah Carey - Long Island (or should I say "LawnGeyeland"?)
Robin Williams - standard AmE
John Travolta - I thought he was from Brooklyn, but he's actually a Jersey boy. In his earlier films he had an East Coast goombah accent, but now it's been watered down to sound a little more standard (not quite, though).
Alice   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 05:50 GMT
I was watching Elijah Wood speak the other day, and thinking about his accent. It's a lot like mine, sort of a slightly crisper, more articulated version of what one often hears in the general american dialect, (esp. in our age group), and I discovered that he's from Iowa, who'd have known? I wonder if his slightly more prescise manner of speech, (e.g. I heard him distinctly pronouncind "t"s in teh middle of words), is the result of his having to do the Frodo accent for so long, and being surrounded by non-american english speakers. Any thoughts?
Dereck   Friday, February 06, 2004, 14:35 GMT
Sting has a British accents and sounds like a well educated man
Alice   Friday, February 06, 2004, 17:27 GMT
Sting! He does sound well educated doesn't he? I believe he aquired his current accent in his adult years, and spoke differently when he was growing up in New Castle. He does have a great speech pattern though, not to mention the voice. Sting is my absolute favourite musician, I'm so glad his name has come up here at antimoon!
Ryan   Sunday, February 08, 2004, 01:35 GMT
If you listen to some old Police songs, Sting has much more of a Geordie accent than he does now.
Ryan   Sunday, February 08, 2004, 01:36 GMT
Oops, I meant Sting had much more of a Geordie accent.
Alice   Sunday, February 08, 2004, 16:02 GMT
Perhaps a bit, but one's accent while singing is often very different than one's accent while speaking. If you watch the "Bring on the Night" documentary, (which was made just after the breakup of the Police), you'll hear that Sting's accent isn't very Geordie at all. In fact, I'd say it's relaxed a bit since that time.
Paul   Monday, February 09, 2004, 18:17 GMT
Sting used to be a children's school teacher.
I expect that he would speak in a highly educated fashion
Paul   Monday, February 09, 2004, 18:29 GMT
Robin Williams has a Mid-west Accent. He comes from an upper class overeducated background, so he sounds very literate.
Unfortunately, as a natural mimic with occasional manic outbursts, which are part of his comic persona, it can be difficult to tell if he is even speaking English, as we know it.
He is a brilliant, off the wall, standup and improv comic, who can speak from Shakspearian to modern jive accents.
Do not use him as a speech model!

Regards, Paul V.
Jamie   Monday, February 09, 2004, 18:41 GMT
Mariah Carey sounds nasal, doesnt she? do all people in Long Island speak that way?
to Jamie   Monday, February 09, 2004, 21:52 GMT
Only the people who grew up there.
Nicolas   Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 19:45 GMT
What about J-Lo accent? do you like it?
Hythloday   Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 20:10 GMT
Paul, what on Earth does "I expect that he would speak in a highly educated fashion" mean? Everyone speaks in a highly educated fashion if they have been highly educated. I've got a PhD, but people like you would probably think that I'm not highly educated because I've also got a Birmingham (UK) accent. It just goes to show how unreliable accents are when you use them to gauge levels of education, doesn't it?
Alice   Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 20:56 GMT
Perhaps the general assumption is that with advanced education comes a neutralization of one's natural accent, as in Sting's case. I'm certainy not saying that this is as it should be, merely that it's a common assumption.