language of men and women

raisingfink   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 06:59 GMT
Let's not state the obvious. Of course you can't categorize everything written by men and women according to their sex, but have you noticed there seems to be a distinct style between the two genders? Have you ever read something and can't help but think "sounds like a female/male writer" and you are actually right? Or maybe it's just me. What do you guys think?
Juan   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 08:05 GMT
I thought mjd was a member or the "fairer" sex but it turned out tthat he was a man. So no, not really. I don't know. I have read some editorial columns, which are not on serious topics, that are written by women and I feel that they have tendency to write with more "flair" than men. That's about it really, I don't know if that makes any sense.
mjd   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 08:25 GMT
hahaha....I still don't get what gave people that impression.
raisingfink   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 08:54 GMT
mjd is a man. Who would've guessed? I didn't either. But the fact that I actually thought that he's a she, as Juan had as well, makes me wonder why a piece of writing would want me to jump to such conclusion. Some people, however, have this "neutral" voice. And others kind of makes you want to guess if it's a man or a woman.
Yes, mjd, I wonder too. I wonder if I've got a male or female "voice".
mjd   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 09:13 GMT
Luckily my voice isn't ambiguous, although I'm starting to get the impression my writing is.

Sorry, guys. I'm just another dude at Antimoon....maybe I should start throwing more machismo into my posts.
Lavoisel   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 09:52 GMT
Am I the only one who have always thought mjd was a He?

Juan, you say women sometimes write with more "flair" than men. Maybe it's just because men just begin to feel more allowed to express their feelings whilst women feel free to do so.
Hythloday   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 09:55 GMT
I think men gossip and bitch more than women.
mjd   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 10:24 GMT
Yeah, men bitch and gossip all the time, but we do it in a different way than women do. I think we're more subtle about it.
raisingfink   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 23:48 GMT
I agree with you, mjd. Men are more ... gentlemanly even in combat. Think "Predator" for men, and "Species" for women - eliminate all competition.
A.S.C.M.   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 02:39 GMT
Based on my observation, I think that all writers on Antimoon are assumed to be women by default.
Juan   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 04:34 GMT
I take it you are woment than?
Alice   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 06:38 GMT
I too made the blunder of refering to MJD as "she", (again, sorry about that). I don't think it has anything to do with his writing, just that I think of MJ as standing for Mary Jane.

I remember reading a a book about vegetarianism a few years ago that I'd just assumed was written by a man, (I'm still not sure why), and being totally shocked when I noticed the author bio on the back cover. Perhaps she had a masculine voice, or perhaps I made an incorrect assumption based on something totally arbitrary, it's impossible to know for sure.
Khatiya   Saturday, February 07, 2004, 18:22 GMT
I wonder what people think I am? My name is foreign so unless you're also Georgian I doubt you could guess...Still, my name ends in "a" so that usually indicates that someone is female. (I am female by the way)
Cly   Saturday, February 07, 2004, 21:23 GMT
I always thought mjd was a mature man.
I think the only regular female members are Hythloday, Lou, Clark and Alice.
Khatiya   Saturday, February 07, 2004, 21:25 GMT
Was that supposed to be a joke? I thought Clark was male, by his (her?) name.