beginning in ''zh''

DRS   Tuesday, February 17, 2004, 04:44 GMT
Are there any words you know that are in the English language that start with the ''zh'' sound. This is one,
genre-pronounced ''zhonra''.
Eastie   Tuesday, February 17, 2004, 07:42 GMT
Most "zh" words are French loan words and phrases:

je ne sais quoi
joie de vivre
jeune fille
Myriescence   Tuesday, February 17, 2004, 12:58 GMT
I can't think of any that start with a zh sound, but the correct pronunciation of azure is with a -zh-. That's the only English word I can think of that uses the sound.
Paul   Tuesday, February 17, 2004, 14:42 GMT
Lots of English words use the zh sound.
usual
casual
vision
seizure
measure
treasure
pleasure
genre
jean (name)
mirage
corsage
beige
prestige
lesion
version
etc.
A lot of them were originally loan words from french, but now are perfectly acceptable English words.
"genre" is the only common English word that begins with zh that I am aware of.

Regards, Paul V.
P.S. Better to brush up your phonetics. English has an amazingly wide number of phonemes.
nico   Tuesday, February 17, 2004, 15:15 GMT
That's interesting to see how a native english speaker use the "zh" sound, so how will use, what kind of words use the "jh" sound?
DRS   Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 00:31 GMT
Yeah, there are a lot of words in the English words in the English Language but there aren't that many that actually begin with the ''zh'' sound. But, ''genre'' pronounced ''zhonra'' is one.
Jim   Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 00:52 GMT
"English has an amazingly wide number of phonemes." from about forty to fifty depending on your accent.

Nico,

What do you mean but the "jh" sound? Do you mean the sound of "j" in words like "job", "jump", "jam" and "jar"?

This, by the way, is an affricative of the "d" sound (in words such as "dog", "dead", "dust", etc.), i.e. [d], and the "zh" sound (mentioned above), i.e. [Z].

In other words the "j" sound is [dZ]. If you count all the words with this affricative, [dZ], as words with the "zh" sound, [Z], you'll end up with quite a large number of English words containing [Z].
DRS   Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 02:10 GMT
Usually when I'm talking about English words with the ''zh'' sound I usually exclude the words with the ''j'' or ''dzh'' or [dZ] sound. So, right now I'm talking about words with ''zh'' not ''d'' followed by ''zh''.
Jim   Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 03:52 GMT
As would anyone usually but technically, if you want to get pedantic about things or if you need to be precise, any word with [dZ] is a word with [Z].