The best way to improve your pronunciation?

Paul M   Sunday, February 22, 2004, 19:05 GMT
Thanks Monnio.

I downloaded their handbook, and found that it's exactly same material as what's on the website, which was disappointing.

They claim that you can achieve fluent English in just 3 months. Was it the case for you?
Lavoisel   Sunday, February 22, 2004, 20:35 GMT
Paul M. wrote: « 40% huh.. does this mean if you speak french, you can speak 40% of English? »

Salut, Paul M.
Although the question was for Sara, I take the liberty of answering it. No, unfortunately, the words of French origins are rather deceptive. They are almost never pronounced the way we (as native French speakers) expect them to be. Plus, they also cause the problem of what French calls the "faux amis" (fake friend) and that the English speakers call "false cognate". Since many words are really similar in spelling to our language but mean something else, how can the French English learners guess which of them are also similar in meaning?
So as you can see, you cannot rely on the French words to learn English words and vice versa.

However, I wish you a happy learning of the French language. Do not hesitate to ask any question about it if you need.

Bonne chance ! ;)
Mac   Monday, February 23, 2004, 11:08 GMT
I've also read a lot of stuff on Fluentzy.com but still don't get the clear picture of what the course is like. Could anyone who's taking the course give me some examples of the content? What kinds of materials (books? CDs?) I'll get if I take the course?
Sara   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 08:22 GMT
Right Lavoisel. ;)

Thought, knowing French can help you with the English spelling sometimes, don't you think?

"bureau", "tour de force", "déjà vu", "rendez-vous", "reservoir", "associate", "court", "social", "cuisine", "voilà", "syllable"... the list goes on.
Monnio   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 14:38 GMT
Don't be fooled by the 3 month promise. That just an advertisement trick, I would think. 3 years would be more like it.

But no one can question the effectiveness of the course, or the quality of the materials. Just top class. The ultimate. Unquestionable. All the same, very tough too.
Paul M   Wednesday, February 25, 2004, 00:12 GMT
Damn it, I was thinking of booking a flight in sometime around June to my home country to be a English teacher assuming I would be equipt with 3 months fluency practice ^^;
Paul M   Wednesday, February 25, 2004, 06:20 GMT
Thanks Lavoisel.
By the way, does salut also have meaning of "bye" as well? Just saw someone saying it in a movie and it definitely not a "hi" situation.

I actually went on and made a application for the fluentzy today. I just hope it's worth the hassel I had to go through today.. :(
I wonder how long it would take for them to mail the materials to Australia.
Juan   Wednesday, February 25, 2004, 06:54 GMT
It seems the trolls scared 90% of the regular antimooner's away. What a shame. It's gone awfully quiet over the last few days. Or it could have been Tom's recent tough stance.
Tom   Saturday, February 28, 2004, 09:39 GMT
I downloaded the PDF and it's just a table of contents -- no examples of actual content.