-ary ending words. American versus British.

Garr   Thursday, February 19, 2004, 22:15 GMT
These following words are pronounced differently in Britain than in America.

Military
cemetery
dictionary
planetary
cometary
library

In American the -ary is pronounced the same as the -ary in ''scary''. In Britain the -ary is pronounced ''ree''. Britons pronounce these words totally different from the Americans and they always call the Americans lazy. Isn't it funny that the Britons always say that the Americans are lazy while they pronounce these word lazily compared to the way Americans pronounce them? Britons need to think before they start calling the Americans lazy. It's nonsense.
Adam   Friday, February 20, 2004, 01:06 GMT
Americans are lazy because they say "color" rather than "colour"; "honor" rather than "honour"; "armor" rather than "armour."
Adam   Friday, February 20, 2004, 01:09 GMT
And most Brits pronounce those words that you listed as similar to the -ary in "scary". We say "military" and pronounce the -ary. We don't say "militree". We say the -ary in "planetary." We say the -ary in "dictionary." So we don't pronounce them all as "ree".
Garr   Friday, February 20, 2004, 02:31 GMT
Well, Americans pronounce them all as the ''ary'' in ''scary''. Not some, but all.
Ryan   Friday, February 20, 2004, 03:15 GMT
We still say "elementary" with a "tree" on the end, though.
Garr   Friday, February 20, 2004, 03:19 GMT
''El-uh-men-terry'' doesn't that sound funny.
Garr   Friday, February 20, 2004, 03:20 GMT
Yeah, we don't say it [el..m..nteri:] We say [el..mentri:]
Ness   Friday, February 20, 2004, 04:12 GMT
My dad says elementary with "ary" at the end. We attributed this to his living in Maine when he was a kid. He's the only one that I've ever heard pronounce it that way, though.
Garr   Friday, February 20, 2004, 04:36 GMT
And that ''ary'' rhymes with ''scary'', does it?
Ness   Friday, February 20, 2004, 05:12 GMT
Yes, it does. We like to make fun of him.
Juan   Friday, February 20, 2004, 05:49 GMT
IN-VEN-TO-RY = IN-VEN-TREE

CON-TRO-VER-SY = CON-TROV-ER-SEE
Antonio   Friday, February 20, 2004, 13:18 GMT
It´s not about laziness. It´s dialectal.

as for me: eh-le-men-tree, es-ta-tion-ree, dik-shuhn-ree, cuhn-TROV-er-see, in-ven-tree, mil-i-tree.
Ryan   Friday, February 20, 2004, 17:52 GMT
I guess Americans decided at some point that drawing out "elementary" to five syllables made just too long of a word, but didn't have a problem drawing out the syllables to the other words.
Garr   Friday, February 20, 2004, 20:12 GMT
Well, now comes the question. Did Americans really add another syllable to these words or did Britons take one of the syllables out. The spellings of these words seems to suggest the latter because, if ''military'' were originally meant to be pronounced ''mil-uh-tree'' then why is it spelled ''military''? Why weren't these words spelled ''militry'', ''cemetry'', ''libry'', ''dictionry'' etc. If ''military'' were original meant to be pronounced ''mil-i-tree'' then why did they spell the word that long when ''militry'' would have worked. Now, Whether the Americans added or the Britons took away one of the syllables in these word, no one knows.
Garr   Sunday, February 22, 2004, 01:31 GMT
Adam says ''Americans are lazy because they say "color" rather than "colour"; "honor" rather than "honour"; "armor" rather than "armour."'', Well, I can equally say that Britons are lazy because they spell it ''connexion'' instead of ''connection''.