Amn't

T. Guy   Sunday, February 22, 2004, 04:27 GMT
There's ''aren't'' for are not. Isn't for is not. Why is there no contraction for am not. Why isn't there ''amn't''.

''He isn't''
''You aren't''
''I'm not'' not ''I amn't''.

I'm in your way aren't I? Not ''amn't I''.
to T. Guy   Sunday, February 22, 2004, 10:05 GMT
You can start making up your own language if you want...
T. Guy   Sunday, February 22, 2004, 14:55 GMT
I amn't going to make up my own language.
Jim   Monday, February 23, 2004, 00:59 GMT
I ain't going to do it either.

"Why isn't the contraction of am+not 'amn't?'

"In fact, in a wide swath of English dialects, it is. This word is common in Scotland and Ireland: 'I amn't sure what he said' and 'I am going, amn't I' are common in those variants of English."

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/drlang003.html

Also check this one out.

http://www.bartleby.com/68/56/256.html
T. Guy   Monday, February 23, 2004, 02:36 GMT
So, ''ain't'' is technically a mispronunciation of the Scottish ''amn't''.
Jim   Monday, February 23, 2004, 04:15 GMT
I don't think that I'd call it a mispronunciation. Just as "won't" isn't a mispronunciation of "willn't".
T. rex   Monday, February 23, 2004, 04:21 GMT
But, there was never a willn't.
T. guy   Monday, February 23, 2004, 04:29 GMT
The Irish and Scottish people kept ''amn't'' while the rest of the world started pronouncing it slangly first as [a:nt] ''an't'' and then eventually [eint] ''ain't'' and then people start using it for other things like is not, have not, and has not and it became a Nonstandard word. But, there was never a willn't. So, technically it's a mispronunciation just like ''Santa Claus'' was a mispronunciation of ''Saint Nicolas'', But they're not really mispronunciations they're just words that evolved from mispronouncing other words.
T. Guy   Monday, February 23, 2004, 04:30 GMT
''while the rest of the world.'' I mean ''the English world''.
Jim   Monday, February 23, 2004, 04:54 GMT
That's just the evolution of pronunciation. How can you call one pronunciation wrong?
Adam   Monday, February 23, 2004, 09:00 GMT
Maybe there is no "amn't" because it is more difficult to pronounce that "aren't."
T. Guy   Monday, February 23, 2004, 19:44 GMT
Yeah, ''amn't I'' would sure make more sense than ''aren't I'' or ''ain't I'' but I amn't going to start using it. I still say ''aren't I'' even though I don't say ''I aren't''.
T. Guy   Monday, February 23, 2004, 19:47 GMT
Yeah, ''amn't I'' would sure make more sense than ''aren't I'' or ''ain't I'' but I amn't going to start using it. I still say ''aren't I'' even though I don't say ''I aren't''.