Split Infinitives

Harbinger   Friday, March 12, 2004, 21:44 GMT
To boldly split infinitives? That is the question. What does everyone else think?

I personally think that this is another silly rule adopted from Latin that has absolutely no relevance in modern-day English, but please feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.
Chilli   Friday, March 12, 2004, 21:51 GMT
I should be going home. Why are you making me stay here and reply?

I think we should continue to presumptuously split infinitives forever more. How can Captain Picard get across even half his meaning if he doesn't?
Harbinger   Friday, March 12, 2004, 21:56 GMT
Where is home, Chilli? Are you wondering whether to slowly go home on foot or to quickly go by car?
Chilli   Friday, March 12, 2004, 22:02 GMT
Home is a wee place in Yorkshire to which I shall be obliged to impetuously drive by car.

Actually, that's really hard when you decide to studiously sit down and do it on purpose.
Harbinger   Friday, March 12, 2004, 22:08 GMT
To where I fitfully wend my way now I know not. To silently sleep, perchance to noisily dream. Farewell, thou Scottish Yorkshireman, and don't forget to intermittently switch thy headlights on.
Chilli   Friday, March 12, 2004, 22:16 GMT
Go on, confess it. You've actually sat there and practiced splitting your infinitives over a dram of whisky or two, haven't you? How can I possibly compete?
mjd   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 07:05 GMT
There's nothing wrong with splitting infinitives in English.