WHY IS EVERYBODY FORGETTING ABOUT CANADA???

Anna   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 23:47 GMT
hi everyone,
Im a canadian...but i really like the (many) british accent an i think its really cute....it bothers me that nobody thinks of Canada when they thinck about english. Can somebody tell me how canadian english can become more popular....we canadians feel left out!!!
P.S. We do not say ABOOT, we say about like normal people!!!!

Thanks,
Anna
A   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 23:50 GMT
When people think of English they normally think of America and Briton unless they are from a different country.
Jack   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 23:52 GMT
America and canadian differences.

American-sorry pronounced [sa:ri:]. Canadian-sorry pronounced [so:ri:]
American-vase pronounced [veis]. Canadian-vase pronounced [veiz].
American-restroom. Canadian-washroom
Ryan   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 00:23 GMT
You say "about" differently than the General American accent. It may not be "aboot," but it sounds kind of like that to us Americans.

Canadian accents sound too similar to American ones to get discussed. The Canadian accent is closer to midwestern-based standard American than east-coast and southern American accents are.
Jack   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 00:29 GMT
Difference between the American and Canadian accent.

Sorry- American ''sahree'' [sa:ri:] Canadian ''soary'' [so:ri:]
Vase- American ''vase'' [veis] rhymes with ''face''. Canandian [veiz] rhymes with ''maze''. British ''vahz'' [va:z] rhymes with ''spas''.
Anna   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 00:43 GMT
I dont think so...i say sari all the time .Actually we say bathroom too......but it pains me to think that we go unoticed just because our antional anthem is twice as short as the american...We feel so unpopular!!!
keep in touch,
Anna
Juan   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 01:55 GMT
Cos Canada is like the 53rd state (or whatever) of the U.S.
wassabi   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 02:21 GMT
hey, Anna, i'm Canadian too! where abouts are you from?
i was in Chicago a while ago for a MUN trip and i noticed that they said "aa" instead of "o"
eg: "not", it sounded to me like "nat". I guess that's why people say Americans sound whiny.
Oh, Anna, i guess the reason why some Canadians feel left out is b/c we don't really have a 'defined' culture like in China or something since we're so multicultural. But that's why we rock!
Anna   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 02:56 GMT
Wassabi,
hey, yeah, ofcourse we rock!!! Im from Ontario, Toronto. Yeah, one of my best friends lives in New York and I always make an effort to make fun of her accent....(brooklynese accent)...I piss her oohoff. But I still feel so left out. I had a british boyfriend and he had the strongest british accent i have ever heard but it was adorable...so now i feel like canada doesn't really even have a language (suposedly english).
Anna
Ryan   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 17:37 GMT
wassabi, people in Chicago do not say "not" the same way that people in New York or Los Angeles do. By no means is it a universal American thing.

Juan, there are 50 American states at the moment.
Jack   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 19:43 GMT
Sentence

I'm sorry, I'm about to forget I hid my vase in the restroom/washroom that has hidden money in it.

American Pronunciation

[aim sa:ri:, aim ..baut tu: fo:rget ai hid mai veis in th.. restru:m that h@z hid..n m^ni: in it.]

Canadian Pronunciation

[aim so:ri:, aim ..bu:t tu: fo:rget ai hid mai veiz in th.. wa:Sru:m that h@z hid..n m^ni: in it.]
mjd   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 19:49 GMT
I'm American and I pronounce "vase" with a 'z' sound at the end, so "veis" doesn't fit for all of us.
Jack   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 19:55 GMT
Yeah, I think people from the East Coast pronounce ''vase'' as ''vayze''. But, in my area it's [veis].
Jack   Monday, March 15, 2004, 03:01 GMT
People from the East Coast say ''vayzz''. In most other areas in the United
States it's more commonly pronounced ''vayss''. In Briton it's ''vahz''.

Canadian words

1.aboot
2.soarie
Mariya   Monday, March 15, 2004, 03:21 GMT
Hey people,
I'm from Canada!! And yes ...it does ROCK!! lol
Yeah I agree with Wassabi, the reason we Canadians feel left out is cas were so multicultural, therefore we have no defined accent! I think we shud have one but on the other side being multicultural is good (I was born in Europe lol) I noticed I say "eh?" a lot and I pronounce it "Sori" not "Sari" and "Veis" not "Vase" and "About" not "Aboot", and both bathroom and washroom...
...when people think of British accents they mostly think "HOT OR SEXY ACCENT" but American...they think its "HILLBILLY"...They think fat and stupid...even Canadians sumtimes...I think its stupid because were the same continent n practically the same COUNTRY! Were not so different so there...
EUROPE N NORTH AMERICA RULES!!!!!