Cell phones and mobile phones

John   Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 19:20 GMT
Isn't the difference between a cell phone and a mobile phone that a cell phone is something you can carry around anywhere and a mobile phone is something you can carry around your house but has to be close to a charger and can't be used everywhere and it's a home phone connect to your home phone line.
Adam   Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 19:42 GMT
There is no difference. A cell phone and a mobile phone are the same thing, except cell phone is what the Americans call it and mobile phone is what the British call it.
Chilli   Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 19:43 GMT
No. Mobile phones and cell phones are mostly the same, as in you can carry them around anywhere. I am told that there is some technical difference between just how they are networked and how they operate but nothing the average user would notice.

Phones that you can only carry around inside your house are called (in Britain) cordless phones.
Steve   Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 21:10 GMT
I call the kind of phone you can carry around anywhere and has a separate number to your home phone a ''cell phone'' and one that you can only carry around in your house and has the same number as your home phone a ''cordless phone''.
mjd   Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 21:38 GMT
Cell phone = mobile phone (American/British). They're the same thing.
John   Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 22:11 GMT
I guess this is similar to that ''coffin'' and ''casket'' question. They're very similar but not the same. There is a very small difference that most people can't tell. Kind of similar to frogs and toads, centipedes and millipedes etc.
mjd   Thursday, March 18, 2004, 00:02 GMT
As far as I know cell phones and mobile phones are the exact same thing (sometimes you'll see mobile phone here in the States too). One is the term the British use while the other is the one used in the States. It refers to that little phone we all carry around with us and use all the time (people are obsessed these days....text messaging, video games, e-mail on phones etc.)....and then we pay our bill which can be a lot or a little depending on one's "plan."

The household phone is a "cordless phone" or a "portable phone" (if it has no cord).
DD   Friday, March 19, 2004, 07:40 GMT
In my opinion , they are equal to each other.
Guy   Friday, March 19, 2004, 14:09 GMT
Yeah I thought they were just 2 different ways of saying... btw do you all pronounce mobile phone as moh-bile fone? I normally say it more like moble fone..
rakan   Saturday, March 20, 2004, 05:50 GMT
In my opinion they are equal to each other
Swetbang   Sunday, March 21, 2004, 00:26 GMT
Google Search results for Cell phone = 7,400,000
Google Search results for Mobile phone = 8,740,000
sanjeeth   Monday, March 22, 2004, 06:13 GMT
cell phone is cell phone and mobile phone is a mobile phone
Simon   Monday, March 22, 2004, 08:21 GMT
I knew a disleksick bloke who used to cell phones.
Paul V.   Monday, March 22, 2004, 16:18 GMT
The old radio phones that Oil workers, and people in the Bush in Northern Canada used were called mobile phones and were very expensive. They were like a huge party line, because everyone in the area could hear what you were saying. You would switch around to find a clear channel. They were usually in a car. Probably the same as CB radio.

Phones that you can only carry around inside your house are called cordless phones in Canada too.

Regards, Paul V.
nerdanni   Wednesday, March 24, 2004, 05:44 GMT
Everyone is saying that mobile is mainly used in British English, however, where I'm from (Pasadena, home of American Idol and the Rose Parade) people use mobile and cell phone. Cell tends to be used by younger groups and older groups while mobile is used by everyone in between.