Slang in the Oz

Simon   Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 08:49 GMT
I'll drink to that (but not a schmiddie). Why do our country's change for the worse when we leave them?
Simon   Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 10:33 GMT
And why have I started adding 's for plurals like in Dutch?
Michael Blake   Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 13:45 GMT
PO'd oz March 29. You are wrong.; plenty of we Aussies use rhyming slang. You're probably one of the more pretentious Australians that has a cultural hang up; I suspect you mix with a very different crowd. If you claim to be Aussie and haven't heard someone ask for the dead horse ( sauce) at a barbecue or dinner table then you sure are mixing in a narrow circle.
Jim   Thursday, April 22, 2004, 06:05 GMT
I don't know why our countries change for the worse when we leave them.

Perhaps they are always changing for the worse but it's only when we're not there that we notice how bad things are getting. You know, it's like when you were a kid and the relatives who you saw the least always commented the most on how much you'd grown.

As for your Dutchifying the English language, maybe we too change for the worse when we leave our countries.
Simon   Thursday, April 22, 2004, 08:11 GMT
Everything changes for the worse!!!

Maybe it's just another form of xenophobia. Or maybe it's like when you go to University and lose touch with your old friends.

When I first left I kept away for two years. Then, going back it was too freaky by half.
Ben   Thursday, April 22, 2004, 14:39 GMT
Americans say "sick" too.
Jim   Wednesday, April 28, 2004, 07:06 GMT
1. Study English.

2. Learn English.

3. Speak English.

4. Make sure all people understand you.

Nerds are nerds everywhere.
Jim   Wednesday, April 28, 2004, 07:15 GMT
Also numerous are people who use other people's name. The above post wasn't written by me. I'm off for a week, please ignore anything written in my name until next Thursday.