To all the french-speakers out there I need help!!

Britney   Wednesday, March 31, 2004, 17:41 GMT
Thanke you guys for trying to explain it but the reall thing I don't understand is where the "R" sounding comes from,to me it's sound like "Memore" and not like è (the one on cafè?!?) maybe I misheared it but I'm quite sure it got an R in there
Lavoisel   Wednesday, March 31, 2004, 19:00 GMT
Britney, "maison" sounds nothing near "memore". Maybe the word you heard was "mémoire" (which means memory)?
or   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 08:08 GMT
mémoire is the report you write for your 4th years study in university.
nic   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 08:09 GMT
Lavoisel is rignt, there's no R in maison.
vincent   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 08:22 GMT
to lavoisel,
thanks for your response. I already have "la prononciation de l'anglais". The film which helped me to catch some british accent is Lawrence of Arabia, ya I know it's an old one but for me it's a classic and I like the typic irish-british accent of Peter O'Toole when he says to Auda Abu Tayi "What a pity!". So british. For myself I like reading history books in english, it's easier than reading litterature. But I think the most important is to find some native speaker to speak english with. I do the same with spanish for 4 years and some latinoamericans think I am Chilean or from southern Spain.
So you're right Lavoisel, to speak well a language one must have some fun with it.
Well... I'm 23 years old too. Collègue.

see ya
Everyone Britney is right   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 20:25 GMT
I'm learning French throughout the net,I've had the same problem with the "Une Masion" word
If you wanna hear a demonstration of what I mean,go on this site and cilck the audio sing near the "Une Masion" word and you'll hear it:
http://www.frenchtutorial.com/standard/pronunciation/on.php

Is that the pronunciation you ment to Britney?
french   Friday, April 02, 2004, 07:17 GMT
it's written : "une maison" and not une masion, masion is not a french word.
nic   Friday, April 02, 2004, 11:57 GMT
I suppose it was a mystake from the webmaster. As french i confirm "masion" is not a word from french vocabulary.
Lavoisel   Friday, April 02, 2004, 21:45 GMT
The bitrate of the "une maison" mp3 is really low, so is the fidelity. That's why it may deceive you. I hotly suggest that you buy a French lessons book that comes with quality audio samples on CD.
Samples on the internet may just get you confused.

Vincent, you are fluent in Spanish, that's great!
I wish I had a less obvious French accent when I speak in English. If only the French school was more focused on teaching us pronunciation, I wouldn't have so many bad habits to get rid of.
As a native speaker, you are taught to speak before even thinking of writing. As a learner, your learning process is the other way around. That's not what I'd call a very good idea!
The first time I heard the Irish accent, I was really surprised by the differences with the southern British accent I was accustomed to. I found it disconcerting. It could, however, had been less disconcerting for me, hadn't the movie I heard it from been Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange". So much strangeness at a time was enough for me to get completely fond of it. ;-)
A plus tard, collègue.
Juan   Saturday, April 03, 2004, 04:02 GMT
Are you guys concerned about Spanish ever gaining more international clout than French ?

Personally, I couldn't care less if someone showed more interest in learning French than Spanish or vice-versa. But it is nice to see anyone attempt to learn more about other peoples culture/language. It's always appreciated, it's human nature :-) That's one way of getting on people's good side.
Octo   Sunday, April 04, 2004, 20:44 GMT
Britney-
If you want a quick and easy way to say une maison, try this:

mayzon

but don't say "on" as you would in english. It's a nasal sound that is not found in english. also try

mayzoh

but don't use a long "o"

I hope this helped in some way.