Harry Potter books

Boy   Saturday, April 03, 2004, 11:37 GMT
Guys, I want to know that if I buy Harry Potter books, Will I need to start reading right from the first version to the last one?

let's say, If I buy first, fourth and fifth versions, and skip second and third, Will it make a difference?

Are all versions interlinked storywise? My question is, for understanding the third version, Do you need to read the second one first.

Thanks.
Chilli   Saturday, April 03, 2004, 12:27 GMT
They all technically stand alone, but if you read them all from start to finish you are far more likely to get the jokes. Also, JK Rowling has said that buried in them is some dark secret that will come out in the seventh. You won't have any chance of trying to guess what it is if you don't read them all.

And besides, why would you want to deprive yourself of two out of five fantastic books?
Boy   Saturday, April 03, 2004, 13:28 GMT
Chilli, It's so nice of you that you've figured out my problem. Thanks for that.

Yesterday I went to a book shop market. Well, in my city, latest books are not available at local shops.

When I was browsing books at different shops. It was almost a shocking experience for me to see that one shop had "Harry Potter" books. I used to hear alot of postive comments about them by different readers on the net. I found out first, fourth and fifth versions.

At that time a book-keeper had not copies of second and third versions but would be available later sometime. I didn't buy books cause I thought It would have been useless to buy fourth and fifth If I had not bought second and third for reading. My first impression was like all books were interlinked each other storywise. So there I was a trifle confused.

Now, I'll buy all those five fantastic books.
Adam   Sunday, April 04, 2004, 08:44 GMT
The Harry Potter books have been banned in some parts of the US because they have black magic in the stories.
mjd   Sunday, April 04, 2004, 08:51 GMT
Apparently this is true of the U.K. as well:

http://www.parents.org.uk/index.html?debate_hpotter.htm&2

Of course these people on both sides of the Atlantic are nuts and have had very little impact on the sale of the book...they're very popular among young children (and it seems adults as well).
Chilli   Monday, April 05, 2004, 13:06 GMT
I never understood the banning of books. If I were the boss of the entire world (and if I wasn't so apathetic) I would make sure everyone had a copy of the HP's to read from the age of ten upwards.
Ginny Weasley   Friday, April 09, 2004, 04:21 GMT
The books are about fighting off black magic, not practising it. I can't believe those muggle conservatives are so thick.