Gay

Just_Me   Sunday, April 04, 2004, 21:09 GMT
I couldn't not noticing some messege about the transformation of the word 'gay' it used to mean 'happy' but now,if you'll say 'i'm gay' you'll probably get beaten up by a group of so called 'mans'
I really care none about homosexual but can someone explain why they are labeled as 'gays' I never met one of them who really is 'gay' so why calling him like that?who decided and where on this change of term and how it got so worldwide?

waiting for some answers

A VERY GAY WOMAN LOVER MAN
woo   Monday, April 05, 2004, 12:03 GMT
because they want the other people think that it's fun to be homosexual.
Personal interpretation.
Juan   Monday, April 05, 2004, 12:20 GMT
That was so wrong! I liked the word gay when it was used to describe happiness/joy. Now it's meaning is so messed up by selfish individuals. How did this happen?
Chilli   Monday, April 05, 2004, 13:41 GMT
Language changes. Words that had nice or completely inoffensive meanings become pejorated (i.e., their meanings become worsened). It happens all the time, and there's little you can do other than to avoid using that word in the same way if it offends you so badly.
Alice   Tuesday, April 06, 2004, 18:54 GMT
The word "gay" has been used since the early 20th century to connote homosexuality, and I doubt it's going to go out of style any time soon.
Mans   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 01:19 GMT
''mans'' is not a word. So there's no such thing as ''so called ''mans''.
...   Friday, April 09, 2004, 02:37 GMT
It seems like ''gay'' has developed an even newer meaning. I often hear people use ''gay'' to mean ''dorky'' or ''stupid''.
Clicker   Saturday, April 10, 2004, 20:49 GMT
Why are you all saying that gay (as it now means - homosexual) is making the word "worse"? Don't be so bigoted. It's a word, get over it!
....   Saturday, April 10, 2004, 22:12 GMT
The words gotten a third meaning meaning ''dorky'' or ''stupid''. Example-That house looks so gay looking. meaning ''that house looks so stupid looking.
connie   Sunday, April 11, 2004, 12:01 GMT
i agree there is a third meaning. over in aus anyway.
Martin   Saturday, April 17, 2004, 00:58 GMT
Clicker, get over someone elses opinion.
Alice   Saturday, April 17, 2004, 18:45 GMT
You know, it's interesting, I thought it was strange that anyone would be bothered by the fact that "gay" had come to mean homosexual, when I'm bothered by the fact that it's now used as a generally negative adjective, ie "Don't be so gay." Now, whether that's fair or not, I really don't like it when I hear "gay" used in the latter fashion. It initially upset me because the origin of this usage can be found in homophobia, but now, it's taken on its own meaning, and I have homosexual friends who use the word freely. I suppose the general lesson here is that it's impossible to stop the evolution of the languge, it's better just to relax and observe. Any thoughts?
Juan   Sunday, April 18, 2004, 09:07 GMT
Well, I don't think it's anything to do with homophobia but everything with ridicule. Homosexuals (gays) may have come a long way from the atrocious treatment and discrimination they have received in the recent and no recent past, thanks to their movement. But being "gay" is still not cool. My interprations of this usage is tha it is intended to mean that something is sad or pathetic, totally uncool etc, etc, etc.... I think most people that use gay in these sense don't have any homophobic tendencies, it has simply gathered popularity because it's always easier to target minority groups and laugh at their expense.

Another example would be "Mock" Spanish.

ie. EL CHEAPO and the like

You only need to add an "unnecessary" vowel to know the simple language that is Spanish.