Juan   Tuesday, April 13, 2004, 10:29 GMT
Two terms meaning the same thing?

Why is "toward" tolerated? It sounds awkward. It doesn't sound quite right.
Lee   Tuesday, April 13, 2004, 17:47 GMT
Migrant and Immigrant both got the same meaning likewise Towards and Toward
mjd   Tuesday, April 13, 2004, 19:42 GMT
"Immigrants" go from one country to another.

"Migrant" means from one region to another. So there could be migrant workers in one country that travel throughout the country in search of work. If these workers were from another country, they'd be immigrant migrant workers.
Jim   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 02:56 GMT
mjd's answer is pretty much correct. A migrant is an animal (including humans) which/who has come from another region. The word "immigrant" is more specific. The word "immigrant" applies only to a specific type of migrant. Immigrants people from other countries who have come to stay.

The following comes from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary and Cambridge Dictionary of American English* (with the latter marked with an asterix).

migrate [Show phonetics]
verb [I]
1 When an animal migrates, it travels to a different place, usually when the season changes:
These animals migrate annually in search of food.
In September, these birds migrate 2000 miles south to a warmer climate.

2 If people migrate, they travel in large numbers to a new place to live temporarily:
Mexican farm workers migrate into the US each year to find work at harvest time.

3 to move from one place to another:
Trade is migrating from local shops to the larger out-of-town stores.

migrant [Show phonetics]
noun [C]
These birds are winter migrants from Scandinavia.
The cities are full of migrants looking for work.
migrant workers
a migrant population

migration [Show phonetics]
noun [C or U]
There was a mass migration of poverty-struck farmers into the cities.
Compare immigration; emigration.

migratory [Show phonetics]
migratory birds


immigrant [Show phonetics]
a person who has come to a different country in order to live there permanently:
a large immigrant population
Illegal immigrants are sent back across the border if they are caught.

immigration [Show phonetics]
noun [U]
1 when someone comes to live in a different country:
There are strict limits on immigration (into the country).

2 the process of examining your passport and other documents to make certain that you can be allowed to enter the country, or the place where this is done:
After you've been through immigration (control), you can go and get your luggage.
immigration policy
immigration officers

immigrate [Show phonetics]
verb [I]
He immigrated with his parents in 1895, and grew up in Long Island.


* emigrate
[Show phonetics]
verb [I]
to leave a country permanently and go to live in another one Compare immigrate at immigrant
Millions of Germans emigrated from Europe in the nineteenth century.

* emigration
[Show phonetics]
noun [C/U]

* emigrant
[Show phonetics]
noun [C]
a person who leaves a country permanently to live in another one Compare immigrant.

Jim   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 02:59 GMT
The "toward"/"towards" thing seems to be a Commonwealth/North-American thing. Again from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

towards (MOVEMENT) MAINLY UK [Show phonetics]
preposition (MAINLY US toward)
in the direction of, or closer to someone or something:
She stood up and walked towards him.
He leaned towards his wife and whispered, "Can we go home soon?"
She kept glancing towards the telephone.
The country seems to be drifting towards war.
There is a trend towards healthier eating among all sectors of the population.

Simon   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 08:29 GMT
Isn't emigré better than emigrant?
Simon   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 09:06 GMT
Hmm, it turns out that both exist but that "emigre" has political connotations.
nic   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 09:26 GMT

Migrant Migré

Emigré Emigrant

Immigrant Immigré

The 2 versions work

What do you hear by political connation?
Does "émigré" have a political connatation in english?
sorry for the mystakes   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 09:27 GMT
Simon   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 09:30 GMT
That's what the Cambridge dictionary said...
nic   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 09:51 GMT
Really? I didn't know
Simon   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 10:30 GMT
But that's English.

We have immigrant/migrant/emigra
Simon   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 10:37 GMT
nt plus emigre.
nic   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 11:16 GMT
I know you were talking about the english version, but we have the same in french

Emigré, emigrant
immigré, immigrant
migré, migrant

What do they mean by political conotation in the Cambridge dictionnary?
Simon   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 11:19 GMT
Yes but we can't say migré/immigré.

I think for example they mean like Victor Hugo. He "had to" leave France.