Uune petite question concernant francais

Waqas Usman   Friday, April 16, 2004, 14:47 GMT
Bonjour!
I am just a beginner at French. Today someone told me that "ingénieur de la société X" is wrong, should be "ingénieur chez X" and that "de la société" can only be used with directeur, as in "Directeur de la société X". Such a rule in a language... it doesn't sound right to me.... Or is it true?
Merci bien.
Simon   Friday, April 16, 2004, 15:07 GMT
I think it's because "ingénieur" is a job, not a "rank" in the hierarchy.

So you could be Captain of the HMS Bounty but not "sailor of the HMS Bounty" because to do so would imply you are the only one. I think this is the logic.
Waqas Usman   Friday, April 16, 2004, 15:13 GMT
Yeah I got it. Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
Waqas Usman   Friday, April 16, 2004, 15:17 GMT
Just another thought, on the same yardstick "de la société" can be used with designations like "chef du personnel de la société", "Chef des Ventes", "Directeur Commercial", "Chef comptable" and "Chef de service", right?
...   Friday, April 16, 2004, 16:08 GMT
Hi,
well in fact I think Simon is right and "Directeur chez X" sounds quite strange... but you can use "de la société" or "chez X" with "chef du personnel", "Chef des Ventes", "Directeur Commercial", "Chef comptable" and "Chef de service": both are right!
Axel   Friday, April 16, 2004, 16:20 GMT
It is a bit hard to explain it in English why "Directeur chez X" is wrong: "chez" means for example that you work at somebody's place, and if you are the "directeur" well, you work at your own place! So "directeur chez X" is strange...
On the other hand, if you are "chef des ventes", you work at your director's place that's why you can say "chef des ventes chez"...
I don't think I am clear!!
Lavoisel   Friday, April 16, 2004, 16:27 GMT
Axel, in my opinion you are. ;-)
Waqas Usman   Saturday, April 17, 2004, 21:04 GMT
Thanks... in my opinion all of you are ;)
Monsieur   Saturday, April 17, 2004, 23:25 GMT
Je savoir comment à écrire francais! Faire je écrire bien? Pouvoir tu voir du grammatical erreurs? Si tu fais, blâmer mon dictionnaire. Je utiliser Cassell's Francais-Anglais Dictionnaire.
Da screw   Monday, April 19, 2004, 09:05 GMT
You wrote : "Je savoir comment à écrire francais! Faire je écrire bien? Pouvoir tu voir du grammatical erreurs? Si tu fais, blâmer mon dictionnaire. Je utiliser Cassell's Francais-Anglais Dictionnaire. "

It should be : "Je sais écrire en français! Est-ce que j'écris bien? Vois tu des erreurs de grammaire? Si tu en vois, c'est le dictionnaire qu'il faut blamer. J'utilise le dictionnaire Anglais-Français Cassel"

I don't think a dictionnary could make so many mystakes.
Da screw   Monday, April 19, 2004, 09:09 GMT
to Waqas Usman : It depends how you say it

Je suis ingénieur chez France Télécom

Je suis ingénieur au service communication externe de France Télécom

Je suis Directeur des ventes chez France Telecom

Je suis le directeur de France Télécom
da screw   Monday, April 19, 2004, 09:12 GMT
to Axel :

You can be director in a company but the company is not your. So you can use "chez" in french
Lavoisel   Monday, April 19, 2004, 11:01 GMT
"Monsieur",

did you use Babelfish Translator or something? The automatic translators are usually not very accurate.
Given the grammatical structure of the sentence, I'd say it was originally in English before you ran it through the machine.
nic   Monday, April 19, 2004, 11:31 GMT
from here : http://www.reverso.fr/text_translation.asp

this is what : "Je savoir comment à écrire francais! Faire je écrire bien? Pouvoir tu voir du grammatical erreurs? Si tu fais, blâmer mon dictionnaire. Je utiliser Cassell's Francais-Anglais Dictionnaire." (which means nothing)

into english : "I to know how to write francais! Make I write well? Kept silent power to see of grammatical errors? If you make, to reprimand my dictionary. I to use Of Cassell Francais-Anglais Dictionnaire. " gives into "
nic   Monday, April 19, 2004, 11:36 GMT
The day an electronic translator will work won't never exist!