The difference between south London and East London accents?

James   Friday, April 30, 2004, 14:20 GMT
Wondering if anyone could help me out here.

What are the differences between south and east london accents? is the East london a lot more emphasised on certain words/phrases etc??.

Cheers in advance

James
Paul   Friday, April 30, 2004, 15:15 GMT
East London or Eastenders have a very distinctive lower class accent.
It is not Cockney by any means. Pronunciation is not too far off the mark.
At least compared to Cockney English.
Frankly, True Cockney from Central London is not understandable to the uninitiated.

South London Accent is a lower middle class accent, with some distinctive word borrowing from Cockney English. Sounds a little like liverpool to me but with a clearer more distinct pronunciation. (Lillipudian?)
There is also a Black South African Accent which is even easier to understand.
It is near the Cockney Area of London, too.
Michael Caine, the British actor generally speaks with a South London accent.

It is amazing that big cities London, New York, Los Angelos all developed a variety of ethnic accents.
Ben   Monday, May 03, 2004, 14:18 GMT
Is there really such thing as a "Cockney" accent anymore?
Adam   Monday, May 03, 2004, 16:16 GMT
Yeah. If you are born withing hearing range of the Bells of Bow.
Adam   Monday, May 03, 2004, 16:17 GMT
To be a Cockney, you have to be born within hearing distance of the bells of St. Mary Le Bow, Cheapside, in the City of London. Then you have a true Cockney accent.
Chilli   Monday, May 03, 2004, 16:35 GMT
>> Then you have a true Cockney accent.

No matter what accent that may be?
Martin   Tuesday, May 04, 2004, 00:09 GMT
Are we still using the term lower class etc in England. A lot of people have
given that up.
Ben   Tuesday, May 04, 2004, 14:39 GMT
I agree.

There's been enormous shift in how people speak in Great Britain over the past 30 year. The language of the common man has become more standard than traditional received pronunciation.

In many ways its similar to what happened in America after WWII. The Central midwestern accent, formerly thought of as provincial and course, became the standard model for American English. Before this, the "proper" American English model was "mid-atlantic" speech (the kind of part-American, part-British dialect you hear in East Coast cities like Boston, New York, and New Orleans).
idotti   Thursday, May 06, 2004, 00:51 GMT
hmm guys.. I need help. Im writing this essay about accents , well not london actually. I have to write on about the difference between South Australian and that of another state. Not being an auzzy myself, its 'ahem' kinda hard. Anybody here who's an auzzy, doesnt matter which state, would appreciate some help..