Boy   Friday, April 30, 2004, 16:52 GMT
popping the bubbly,in the thick of things,donkey-drops,grande,vente and pull one's teeth.

Folks, I was reading articles while I encountered these words. I jotted them down on my personal note book but later I found none of them in on line dictionaries. Can you tell me what do they mean?

Thanks alot.
Julian   Friday, April 30, 2004, 19:07 GMT

popping the bubbly - to break open the champagne and celebrate ("popping" - pop open the cork; "bubbly" - champagne)

in the thick of things - to be completely engulfed, surrounded, engrossed, or mired in the "thick" (the deepest part) of some situation, ex. "We were in the thick of a heated argument when all of sudden she got up and left."

donkey drops - sports term, usually in a game of rounders, to describe a throw of a ball that goes up, then down at the very last moment, falling into the correct area for hitting

grande - spanish for big, but in Starbucks terminology it's the next to largest size cup of coffee that you can order; the largest size is "venti"

pull one's teeth - perhaps you mean "like pulling teeth", which is an expression you use when you have the toughest time getting someone to comply to your request. ex. "Getting the students to volunteer for the project was like pulling teeth."
Bayou Rover   Friday, April 30, 2004, 19:51 GMT
Sometimes we use the word "vente" to express a sale.
Boy   Saturday, May 01, 2004, 19:42 GMT
Hi Julian,

Thanks for your geat help. I think you guessed that correctly. I guess I heard something like "like pulling my teeth". I heard it on E! news Entertainment channel. This provides current gossip about Hollywood stars.

My question is, can we use object pronoun in between the expression?
mjd   Saturday, May 01, 2004, 20:19 GMT

If you were to say "it's like pulling one's teeth"...this means that it's like pulling one's own teeth. The expression is never used this way given the fact that we don't pull our own teeth (even dentists go to other dentists).