"That's not true!" or "That isn't true!" Which one is correct?

Josh   Tuesday, May 04, 2004, 01:41 GMT
Is one more correct than the other, or is English just a versatile language?
Dulcinea del Toboso   Tuesday, May 04, 2004, 02:11 GMT
They are both grammatically correct. My opinion is that they are completely interchangeable. Perhaps an argument could be made for a subtle difference in what's emphasized. For example, in the first case one is calling into question the subject itself; in the latter, it's the state of the subject.
Jim   Wednesday, May 05, 2004, 23:39 GMT
Yep, both are correct and so is "That is not true."
Cuckoo   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 01:48 GMT
Jim, don't say "yep" or "yup". Say "yes". Guy, learn English. Sucker!
English   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 02:05 GMT
Eye speek Anglish because Eye'm frum ANGLAND, not ENGLAND. Angles taught me Inglish.
Joe   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 03:49 GMT
Cuckoo, ''Yup'' is slang but there's nothing wrong with ''yep'' though. ''yep'' is used all the time. I don't understand what you're talking about. You say ''Jim, don't say "yep" or "yup". Say "yes". Guy, learn English. Sucker!''. What do you mean ''learn English''. ''yep'' is used all the time and there's nothing wrong with it. Are you about to say that ''yep'' isn't a word. If you are well you're wrong. It is in this dictionary http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=yep. Cuckoo, Why does using ''yep'' mean that you don't speak good English?
Cuckoo   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 04:04 GMT
Shut up! I mean don't write stupidity. Anew learn English. Yep is not a word. It's a crap. Let me call you mr. Yep. It's tipsy to learn English. I recommend you a "Hooked on Phonics". Thou wilt see how to speak easy.
Joe   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 04:10 GMT
Cuckoo, I say ''yep'' all the time. Am I speaking bad English everytime I say it? There's nothing wrong with ''yep''. What do you have against ''yep''?
Joe   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 04:14 GMT
Cuckoo, If ''yep'' is not a word then why is it in the dictionary?
Cuckoo   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 04:32 GMT
Because jargon educators colocated all slangs that other languages' dictionaries don't have. Perhaps your cuckoo dic has them all.
Joe   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 05:21 GMT
Cuckoo, well once again there's nothing wrong with ''yep''.
Joe   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 05:30 GMT
Cuckoo, ''yep'' is not slang. ''yup'' is slang but ''yep'' isn't. There's nothing wrong with ''yep''. Why are you telling Jim not to say ''yep''. I say ''yep'' a lot, don't you?
yep, yup, yeah, yes, whatever!   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 05:55 GMT
Uh, Cuckoo, "yep" is very much a word. You make yourself a hypocrite by typing dic, instead of dictionary or whatever you meant it to be. "Yep" is a very acceptable term, and if you can't handle it, you can stick a dictionary up *it*.

That felt nice, to let it all out.
Cassandra Ravenclaw   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 07:53 GMT
With this knot I seal this hex
You will not sleep, you will not rest
Knots of anger, knots of hate
Discord brings you to your fate

I tie this second knot makes two
Bringing darkness over you
Slander, discord, evil too
Bringing darkness straight to you

With this third knot, I do bind
Weaving chaos in your mind
Hex of anger, hex of hate
Bring Willy down, I will not wait

So mote it be!
Damian   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 08:54 GMT
Q: Do I love this site and all the interesting threads?

A: YEP!

I and my friends use yep, yup, yeah most of the time when we are together. It is just the informal way we are and there is no reason why we shouldn't use it in here. It's supposed to be a friendly site I guess. You just adapt your mode of speech to whatever circumstances you are in. If I was in an interview for a job then I would definitely use "yes".