What does the english expression mean?
Juan   Thursday, May 06, 2004, 09:07 GMT
What's up old man??????????????
Juan   Thursday, May 06, 2004, 09:23 GMT
How's it goin' buddy?
How ya doin' bro?
Juan   Thursday, May 06, 2004, 09:27 GMT
What's happening geriatric dude?

I think viejo is meant as a term of endearment.
Which english speaking ethnic group is using this as an expression now? Don't tell me, the USAians eh? That's cool. It's great to hear that they are learning the lingo. It sure doesn't hurt to learn a new language. Take a look at Europe for example, where their inhabitants (specially the Dutch, that's why I luv'em) know up to 5 different languages. Great people the Dutch, not all but most anyways.
Juan   Thursday, May 06, 2004, 11:01 GMT
BTW whatever happened to that mexican and catalan thread? Hope I didn't upset anyone with my comments. Believe me that was not my intention.
Juan   Thursday, May 06, 2004, 11:03 GMT
Man I heard that it got pretty heated at times. ;-) lol!!!!!!!!!!
umberto Tozi   Friday, May 07, 2004, 08:37 GMT
juan,

So it's like "que se passe t'il vieux?" or "Qu'est ce qui se passe vieux?"

Pasa = passe , que = que , viejo = vieux.

They use that expression in LA, i thought it must be spanish but i told myself it looks like some old french (my father is from Quebec". The only spanish i heard in my life is from the LA area.

Were french and spanish the same language at 1st? Why is it so different now? Arabic influences?
Juan   Friday, May 07, 2004, 09:16 GMT
Both French and Spanish originated from Latin and simply evolved as time went by or others may see it form another perspective and say that a group of people corrupted a perfectly good language and created their own creole-like vulgar version of Latin.
U Tozi   Friday, May 07, 2004, 09:59 GMT
Do spanish and french understand each others?
Juan   Friday, May 07, 2004, 12:25 GMT
No, I wouldn't think so. They have deviated to much from the original over the last say, 2000 years or so.
Huber   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 22:57 GMT
To Umberto

Hiya namesake!

Yes, we understand each other...in English.

Now, seriously, we do not understand each other although we may get the gist of what the other person is saying but nought more that that. On the other hand I do not speak Portuguese but I regularly speak on the phone with people form Portugal and we understand each other find.