Slang Terms of Various English-Speaking Regions of the World

Simon   Thursday, May 13, 2004, 04:18 GMT
Most of us know a large amount of slang English terms from the US as well as the UK, but what about other nations/areas where English is spoken? Does anyone know of any interesting/colourful expressions from places such as Oz, Nz, South Africa, Canada, etc? Much Obliged!
Jim   Thursday, May 13, 2004, 04:46 GMT
Mate, come over this arvo, I'm having a barbie. Sorry I can't give you a lift because the ute is out of rego. We're gonna need a couple of eskies so bring yours if you can, prefereably with a few tinnies in it. Don't worry about tucker I've got shit-loads of sangers, steak, bread rolls and salad; I've even got a couple of chooks. Bring a few of your mates from uni but don't bring Bazza, he always smokes durries in the dunny.
Damian   Thursday, May 13, 2004, 15:01 GMT
Jim...I love it...there are Scots/English dictionaries on sale...do you know if there are ones for Oz-speak as well? I'd buy one if I could find one so that when (and if) I ever go Down Under....I would be able to converse with the natives!... hee hee.....cheers, mate!

ps: we say "barbie" as well
Simon   Thursday, May 13, 2004, 15:26 GMT
Cool - another Simon. Maybe another Jim, too. So difficult to tell here.
Jim   Thursday, May 13, 2004, 18:43 GMT
Yes, I agree with you Simon.
Ryan   Friday, May 14, 2004, 08:08 GMT
That sounded very ocker, Jim.
Marianne   Sunday, May 16, 2004, 17:18 GMT
Jim,
If I got it right you said:
"Mate,Come over this afternoon(I know it's either afternoon or evening not completely sure)I'm having a barbecue.Sorry I can't give you a lift because my utility vehicle(pickup truck right?) is out of registration (At first I thought it means going insane but then I recalled somthing my uncle said 'bout his car 'out of rego').
We're gonna need a couple of eskies(a cooler?) so bring yours if you can, prefereably with a few beers(or other beverage maybe?) in it.Don't worry about food I've got plenty of sangers(is it some kind of australian food?),steak,bread rolls and salad;I've even got a couple of chooks (I know what 'Feed the chooks' is if it got anything to do with it...).Bring a few mates from university but don't bring Bazza(as in a blokish name for Barry?!?),he always smokes cigarettes alone.

One last question is 'Bang like a dunny door' means trashy of a woman?
Jim   Monday, May 17, 2004, 00:00 GMT
Marianne,

Good work. Yes, "arvo" = "afternoon" (not "evening"). A tinny is a can of beer (though the can is made of aluminium not tin). A sanger is a sausage. A chook is a chicken. A dunny is a toilet. In the old days the dunny was built outside and when it got windy the door would be blown open and closed banging as it does. If a sheila bangs like a dunny door then she's easy.
Jim   Monday, May 17, 2004, 07:18 GMT
I was being faked with "Yes, I agree with you Simon." which makes it kind of funny.
Simon   Monday, May 17, 2004, 08:07 GMT
Perhaps we are really just a hitherto undiscovered Jean-Luc Godard classic.