the pronunciation of nike

Willy   Tuesday, May 18, 2004, 00:54 GMT
Folks, that is why I have ever thought about a spelling reform. It is very acceptable for us to speak how we spell really.

like (leik), not ('leikee)
nike ('neikee), not (leik)
Jim   Tuesday, May 18, 2004, 05:48 GMT
Willy,

Why do you try changing every thread into a thread about spelling reform?
Willy   Tuesday, May 18, 2004, 22:54 GMT
No, I don't. I think you do, don't you?
mjd   Wednesday, May 19, 2004, 06:53 GMT
Actually, Willy, I agree with Jim. Why not try to limit those discussions to threads that deal with spelling reform?
Willy   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 03:38 GMT
To whom this concerns.

Every topic I see is about something dealing with spelling. It's not only done by me. Some people visit this forum of Antimoon to discuss about how to learn English. I give my opinion but some people refuse it. Furthermore I don't put threads in pages which they are not discussing about spelling. I do understand that the English spelling is not reformed yet. I'm not changing your English or mine. Who cares?
Jackson   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 04:50 GMT
Willy, do you think we are idiotic? You look smarter than us. Some people don't think the same you think. If you are criticizing the English spelling, it's because you think it is reformed yet. It's true. English is my language but I didn't invent it either. We the Americans don't want that someone outside our country change our language, don't you, Willy? I think you're okay with me, folk!
Willy   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 04:59 GMT
Jackson, you have all the reasons about me. I'm not saying you all are idiotic or criticizing at all about the English spelling. Does it sound correct to you? Read what I say that I don't criticize with arrogance as others do.

I've never seen yours on here. You're welcome to discuss politely with me if you still want to.
Jackson   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 05:05 GMT
The way I told you that the English is reformed yet, is because I thought the writers think it is reformed, even with any kind of complication. They speak as the dictionary shows to, not looking reformed ways. So, I think it is changeable until all the native English speakers decide to agree together.
mjd   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 05:11 GMT
Both of you (or one of you...it appears to be the same person writing) need to learn to speak better English before you can think about "reforming" it. Your posts are unclear. Your English is unclear. There is not much more that can be said.
mjd   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 05:18 GMT
I would never insult anyone on this board who is genuinely trying to learn English. However, Willy's sole purpose seems to be disrupting all discussions. It's rude.
Chilli   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 15:11 GMT
I figure since it's their brandname, they get final dibs on how it's said, but I've never heard Mr. and Mrs. Nike themselves say it, so I remain unsure, and therefore use it interchangeably.

P.S. I don't want to run out of this thread screaming, but it's getting hard.
Swede   Friday, May 21, 2004, 08:31 GMT
Sometimes people pronounce the same trademark differently in different places.

In Sweden, Ikea is i'keij.. (ik-EH-ya)
In the USA, Ikea is 'aikij.. (AI-ki-ya)

I hope I got the phonetic/phonemic transcription thing right. I'm too lazy to check the Antimoon ASCII chart.
Antonio   Monday, May 24, 2004, 12:35 GMT
Personally, I would say [EE-ke-uh], but my second possible guess would be to [ai-kEE-uh], if I pronounced with the long ´a´.