"Regards" and "Best regards"

Sinja   Tuesday, May 25, 2004, 00:42 GMT
Does "Regards" sound more formal than "Best regards"?

I always wonder how I close a business e-mail.
Jim   Tuesday, May 25, 2004, 00:59 GMT
I think "Regards" does sound more formal than "Best regards" sort of. Neither of them would I call formal. "Regards" sounds more businessy whereas "Best regards" sounds more friendly. If it's formality you want then "Yours sincerely" or "Yours faithfully" is what I'd suggest. It's probably best to go for "Regards" in an informal business e-mail I guess.
Tippie   Tuesday, May 25, 2004, 01:47 GMT
If you're writing a business letter to a French person, be sure to conclude it with:

Votre cher lapin,
[Your name here]
Lavoisel   Tuesday, May 25, 2004, 08:55 GMT
Tippie,

"your dear rabbit,
[Your name here]"

is not precisely the most desirable polite phrase to end a buisness letter with if your wish is to be taken seriously.
Jim   Wednesday, May 26, 2004, 03:11 GMT
Lavoisel,

That all depends on what type of business you're in.
Maya l'abeille   Wednesday, May 26, 2004, 08:01 GMT
"votre cher lapin"

is definitely not a good letter ending.

##############################

First, using both "vous" and "lapin" is completely contradictory:

"vous" is a polite form whereas "lapin" - usually "mon petit lapin" - is used as a tender word like "sweetie", "sweetheart",etc.

However, ending a love letter with "ton petit lapin" is possible.
mjd   Wednesday, May 26, 2004, 08:13 GMT
I wouldn't recommend that anyone learning French follow any of Tippie's advice. Lavoisel or Axel would be the men to talk to.
Tippie   Wednesday, May 26, 2004, 08:16 GMT
Oh, you spoilsports!

If only you had not posted, some American businessman who visited Antimoon decided to show off his French skills and conclude a letter with "Votre petit lapin...", received an alarming reply, and vented his rage on Antimoon! It would have been so much fun!

And yes, I knew that "mon petit lapin" is a tender name, my favourite one, in fact. In a story I'm writing for French class, I have a mother call her son "mon petit lapin, mon petit chouchou, mon petit nounours, mon ange, mon cher petit trésor" in front of all his classmates.
nic   Wednesday, May 26, 2004, 11:57 GMT
Tippie,

Yes but as said Maya l'abeille, you can't say "Votre" petit lapin, it does not work. It must be automatically "ton" petit lapin.

At least "mon cher petit trésor" does not work, it's "too much" trésor is enough, mon petit chouchou is old fashioned. To call a child "mon petit nounours" does not work. these words are not used everywhere. I am from the south and i can tell you you will hear more "mon canou" or titou (it means "petitou = petit (in the meaning of young child).

These tender words are conventionnal, parents rarely use conventional words like that, it will be : ma puce, mon poussin, mon coquin, mon petit loup, mon titi bla bla bla.
nic   Wednesday, May 26, 2004, 12:01 GMT
If you need to write something conventional into french for business :

Vous remerciant, veuillez croire Madame, Monsieur en l'assurance de ma considération.

or

Vous remerciant veuillez accepter Madame, Monsieur mes salutations sincères et profondes.

etc etc etc
Damian   Wednesday, May 26, 2004, 17:08 GMT
I thought French people said "mon petit chou" as a term of endearment? I think I would rather be a rabbit than a cabbage...although I am a wee bit green sometimes.

I guess each region has it's own terms in this respect. I am in Yorkshire, England, at the moment and here they call you "me duck"! or phonetically "duk" with the vowel something similar to the "oo" in "look" as they do in this area. Or they will just say "luv" meaning the obvious.
Tippie   Wednesday, May 26, 2004, 23:22 GMT
My favourite conventional ones in English are duckie and lovey, though I appreciate unconventional but endearing ones even more: my little calf, dear Flopsy, my treasured, etc. even more. "Dearie" makes me think of an old witch, probably because it's used so often in that sort of fairytale.

Just one note: I think it's disgusting when so-called "lovers" call each other by these names. I'd prefer using them as a joke (as in a business letter, hehe) but if you want to go for sincerity, I think a mother calling her child by these names would be really sweet.