General Language Issues

Damian   Saturday, June 05, 2004, 17:27 GMT
er...Emmanuel......you simply misunderstood.....never mind! It has nothing whatsoever to do with the gender of soup! :-)
Damian   Saturday, June 05, 2004, 22:36 GMT
Some humour is based on a play on words....perhaps it is the same in most languages, is it not?

Judge: You are accused of stealing a chicken. Anything to say?
Prisoner: I just took it for a lark, sir!
Judge: No resemblance whatsoever! Ten days!
paul m   Saturday, June 05, 2004, 22:54 GMT
I've never heard of that word before..lark..
but my trusty old collins cobuild has not failed me this time. :)
Damian   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 15:34 GMT
At this present time in England the English national flag of St George (A red diagonal cross on a white background) is flying all over the place....outside houses, in windows, shops and stores, and fluttering from cars, lorries and even on bicycles and motor cycles. Wouldn't it be nice if the reason was a celebration of the English language!! :-)

Sadly, it is not the reason! :-( It's all to do with Euro 2004...football. For the Americans in the forum: football=soccer

As a Scot I am....er....well.....kinda neutral! No, I won't be mean......I think I will cheer England on! It hurts to do so, but I will! I'm sort of outnumbered down here. Cheers!
Paul M   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 06:41 GMT
Sorry I don't much follow English football.. or any other leagues come to think of it.Umm.. I'm not helping much am I..
But cheer up Damian, and don't forget you can natively speak the English language so you will be always get envious look fron me. :)