Wich is correct: 'If I was you' or 'If I were you' ?

Jim   Thursday, June 03, 2004, 05:14 GMT
Surely it is better to write "Yer, you are inappropriate." wouldn't you say, Hythloday?

But seriously though ... I agree with Hythloday to an extent. Prescriptivism is indeed on the way out and it's better to talk in terms of which is more appropriate rather than more correct.

"'If I was you...' is non-standard English and would therefore be considered more appropriate in informal contexts," writes Hythloday "whereas 'If I were you...' is standard English and would therefore be considered more appropriate in formal contexts."

Well, yes and no. I mean, this sentence is a little ambiguous. What exactly is Hythloday comparing here? To explain what's causing my confusion let me difine the following term.

Let A(w,f) = the appropriateness of "If I w you ..." in a/an f context.

Thus

A(was,informal) = the appropriateness of "If I was you ..." in an informal context.
A(was,formal) = the appropriateness of "If I was you ..." in a formal context.
A(were,informal) = the appropriateness of "If I were you ..." in an informal context.
A(were,formal) = the appropriateness of "If I were you ..." in a formal context.

Is Hythloday saying

1) A(was,informal) > A(was,formal) & A(were,formal) > A(were,informal)

or is he saying

2) A(was,informal) > A(were,informal) & A(were,formal) > A(was,formal)

where ">" means "is greater than"?

Interpretation 1 states where "If I was you ..." is most appropriate. It says that if you're going to use "If I was you ...", the context where you'll find it most appropriate is an informal one. It also states where "If I were you ..." is most appropriate. It says that if you're going to use "If I were you ...", the context where you'll find it most appropriate is an formal one.

Interpretation 2 compares different things. This interpretation states that in a formal context "If I were you ..." is more appropriate than "If I was you ...". However, it also says that in an informal context "If I was you ..." is more appropriate than "If I were you ...".

I could mostly accept what is stated by interpretation 1 but I get the feeling that what Hythloday intended was interpretation 2. I don't agree with the second interpretation.

Hythloday noted "If I was you..." is non-standard English but would interpretation 2 follow from this? I say that to say so would require accepting the premise that non-standard English is more appropriate than standard English in informal contexts. I don't accept this premise.

Standard English (if such a beast could be defined) is perfectly acceptable in informal contexts. As for me, I only ever use "If I were you ..." regardless of context and never feel as if what I'm saying is inappropriate. Of course, counter examples could easily be contrived: perhaps you're playing the part of a hill-billy.

The way things are in the UK may be different but here's the way I see it. "If I were you ..." is perfectly acceptable and appropriate in all contexts whereas "If I was you ..." would only be acceptable or appropriate in informal contexts. My advice to ESL students would be to stick with "If I were you ..." but be aware of the other varient.
Might Mick   Thursday, June 03, 2004, 10:06 GMT
I was always under the impression that the subjunctive was optional in English, and so "I wish I were" just sounded more elegant.

In my other language French, it's obligatory when expressing fear, hope, uncertainty, doubt, and few other little things relating to sentiments.
Muhammad Shahid Sharif   Friday, June 04, 2004, 12:21 GMT
Can anybody guide me with authentic examples about "for".
Because somewhere I saw a sentence e.g. " I am bringing for you "
other side I saw that e.g. " I went shopping ".
There is still little confusion for me. Because in Urdu Language we use "for"
"Kay liyen" mean to have something for someone.

so Why can not it be. that "I went for shopping". like " I brought for you"
If i have done any thing wrong in my text, so please correct it too.
Thanks.
Orion   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 19:46 GMT
People actually do say things like that in certain isolated parts of America. It is _very_ rare to hear though, and generally in Appalachia where there were strong German influences.

"I went to the concert for to see the band."

Usually, "for" indicates a reason, purpose, or "on someone's account."

You would say, "I went shopping for my friend" but just "I went shopping" when you don't say why or for whom you went shopping.