My conditional sentence

soni   Monday, June 14, 2004, 04:59 GMT
Please tell me whether I am correct or not. I will write a conditional sentence. It has to do with Euro 2004 Championship. I watched the match France vs England, where France beat England 2-1. In that match, Beckham missed a penalty kick.

"If Beckham had not missed the penalty, England would have been able to beat France".

Thanks for your answer.
mjd   Monday, June 14, 2004, 05:13 GMT
Your sentence is fine. I'd probably say "penalty kick" (It's the term we use here in the U.S., but it could be different elsewhere).
soni   Monday, June 14, 2004, 06:21 GMT
Thanks.

About penalty or penalty kick, I am not sure. I think anybody who is a native speaker from England can help me. Should I use penalty without adding "kick" in this case?
mjd   Monday, June 14, 2004, 06:24 GMT
The only reason I say that is because a penalty is "A punishment, handicap, or loss of advantage imposed on a team or competitor for infraction of a rule. An infraction of a rule; a foul."(Dictionary.com). A "penalty kick" is what occurs if a penalty is committed within the box that surrounds the goal. I just think it sounds clearer if "kick" is included.
soni   Monday, June 14, 2004, 06:32 GMT
Thank you again. You're a very helpful person.
CG   Monday, June 14, 2004, 08:00 GMT
You can just say penalty. He didn't exactly miss though, did he? Barthez stopped it.
Vic   Monday, June 14, 2004, 16:06 GMT
Yeah, just say penalty. I can't believe we were winning 1-0 at half time, and then in the 3 mins of injury time France managed to get 2 goals. I was speechless. Also, mjd, where else would a penalty occur when talking about football as Soni was?
mjd   Monday, June 14, 2004, 18:00 GMT
Vic,

What I was trying to say is that the "penalty" is the action (perhaps tripping or touching the ball with one's hands) that leads to the "penalty kick."
General_Ricardo   Monday, June 14, 2004, 19:50 GMT
Yeah, I agree with you soni. I don't think the forum would have any taste without mjd*
mjd   Monday, June 14, 2004, 20:15 GMT
Thanks for the compliment, Ricardo. However, it's not me that makes this forum a great place to learn, it's the many helpful and intelligent people who stop by on a daily basis as well its creators, Tom and Michal.
soni   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 05:00 GMT
to CG,

Yes, Bhartez stopped it. But, can I also he missed the penalty kick? I mean he failed to make a goal from the penalty kick.

thanks.
soni   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 05:03 GMT
Correction:

My sentence above should have been written like this:

"....But, can I also SAY he missed the penalty kick?...." I should have put the word "say".
mjd   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 05:18 GMT
I think "missed" would apply if the shot missed the goal entirely; i.e. flew over the net or was wide of the net. If the goalkeeper, in this case Bhartez, made the save, I'd say "Bhartez blocked his [Beckham's] shot" OR "Bhartez made the save on the penalty kick."
mjd   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 05:19 GMT
However, one could also say that England missed a great opportunity to score a goal.
soni   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 06:53 GMT
The fact is that Bhartez made the save on the penalty kick.