euroseptic

Jacob   Monday, June 14, 2004, 21:27 GMT
who originated this word?
Damian   Monday, June 14, 2004, 21:39 GMT
Slight correction, Jacob: Eurosceptic (you missed out a C). I believe the Americans have a K in place of the C you missed out. It's pronounced the same way.

Without the first C septic means a bad infection caused by bacterial poisoning LOL

No idea who originated this anti EU stance....my guess is someone British.
Jim   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 01:11 GMT
In Aussie slang "septic" is a rather unflattering term for an American. It derives from rhyming slang. "Septic" short for "septic tank" which rhymes with "yank". Usually we'd use "seppo" rather than "septic". So perhaps that would make a euroseptic an American with European taste, heritage, affiliations, etc.
Might Mick   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 04:30 GMT
Euroseptic: I was thinking more along of the lines of Eurotrash.
Damian   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 07:19 GMT
Jim: I think it's really funny the way Ausies abbreviate most words.....probably for convenience or a desire to save breath...why waste more than you need? "Barbie" is now universal over here in the UK..and we are having gorgeous "barbie" weather here now :-) I've heard of "seppo" before!
Hey Jim...come to think of it...septic tank=yank. Surely that maybe a link with Cockney rhyming slang? Exactly the same form:

Cockney:
apples and pears............stairs
plates of meat...............feet
dog and bone................phone
Barnet fair....................hair
trouble and strife...........wife

I think the person who coined the phrase "Eurosceptic" must have been an English politician, more than likely a Tory......they still have those in England you know? :-)