Languages and feelings

Maya l'abeille   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 13:19 GMT
I was calmly sitting on a chair, when suddenly I fell to the ground.

When I think of this sentence in English, its absurdity makes me laugh...
Whereas if I try and think of it in my native language, I only remain stonily indifferent and eventually raise my eyebrows.

Yet the scene is exactly the same... It's obviously a matter of languages.

But it's so weird!
Why do those words strike me when they are spoken in a language I'm not even used to and have no effect when they are said in the one I've been speaking and hearing for almost two decades?!!

Have some of you ever felt something like that?
Axel   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 13:32 GMT
Yes I have an idea... when you live with something, you do not take really care about it. A good example is your own city: as you live in everyday, you don't take a look at the buildings around you while when you are visiting an other city, you are pretty much interested in the architecture. And in my mind I think this is the same about languages, which can be compared to the architecture of a city in my previous example!
Paul M   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 14:29 GMT
intriguing..
Well, I think it's like this. When Jokes written in English are translated to Korean, it's not that funny if not at all and vice versa.

This has something to do with indivudual words having subtle differences in meanings when translated and how they are expressed, and also let's not forget the cultural and social backgrounds..
Damian   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 15:10 GMT
Perhaps it is something on the lines of familiarity breeding contempt