State of the Forum

mjd   Sunday, June 27, 2004, 19:52 GMT
As you may have noticed, each day some immature individual likes to spam this forum (generally long strings of periods, letters, etc.)...usually it's in the threads, but yesterday he decided to spam the forum itself, thus bumping off most of the threads. Each day I go through all of the messages and clean up this guy's mess, but yesterday I was out of town and he had time to do his dirty work. As to why someone would spend his time doing this...I haven't the slightest clue (it probably took him over half an hour to do what he did....a good indication that this individual is in desperate need of a life).

All I can say is that it takes one second for me to get rid of all of the nonsense, so if he thinks he's inconveniencing me....I can assure you he certainly isn't. As for the lost threads....well, I'd encourage everyone to make some new ones.

Thanks for your patience,

mjd
Boy   Sunday, June 27, 2004, 21:15 GMT
mjd, please warn other posters not to talk about controversial topics that can lose ones tamper. For example, to describe different nationalities into characters like (arrogant, ignorant, etc). Take care!!
Damian   Sunday, June 27, 2004, 22:18 GMT
I am a simple soul so would someone kindly tell me why some deranged individual would want to act this way? What would the motive be? I have been coming into this really great forum for about 3 weeks (? not really sure) and it is a great source of fun and interest for me and obviously for others as well. I just fail to understand why some weirdo would want to spoil this great forum where there is some new topic appearing every day. I have seen a couple of nasty postings which thankfully were swiftly removed. Thanks for that notice, mjd.
David Winters   Sunday, June 27, 2004, 23:11 GMT
You, the Antimoon staff, have brough this upon yourselves. The current forum software is rubbish and is easily exploited. All it would take for you to prevent this nonsense is a 10-minute installation of a decent forum system like phpBB or Invision Power Board. And after that, making registration a requirement for posting anything.

But you chose to do nothing.

So wallow in the ignominy of your complacency and contemplate your self-ruination for all I care. Just don't try to act as if your hands aren't as red as the tosser's who made those stupid spam threads.
mjd   Monday, June 28, 2004, 01:11 GMT
The reason this forum is so heavily visited is because one can just surf right in and ask a question without having to worry about registration. While it is less secure, it isn't stagnant like so many other Internet forums out there.
Tom   Monday, June 28, 2004, 01:17 GMT
David, you're making it sound like phpBB prevents the posting of nonsense messages, which is not true. How difficult is it to register AND THEN post 50 rubbish messages with phpBB?
Juan   Monday, June 28, 2004, 03:07 GMT
<<How difficult is it to register AND THEN post 50 rubbish messages with phpBB?>>

By banning them/their ISP, that's how. Permanently.
General_Ricardo   Monday, June 28, 2004, 03:21 GMT
Damian,
couldn't have said it better myself.
I would like to thank all of antimoon staff, especially you mjd. YOU GUYS ARE DOING A GREAT JOB, SO DON'T LET ANY MALICIOUS PSYCHO BUG YOU.
THNX AGAIN
Juan   Monday, June 28, 2004, 03:21 GMT
I meant to say their ISP address not the entire Provider.
Boy   Monday, June 28, 2004, 05:18 GMT
I meant to say their ISP address not the entire Provider.

People can use computers from different places. This is not also a permanent solution. I have seen similar cases to other advanced forums on the net. One wants to spoil the forum, they can do it at any time. We have to get along with it.
Mi5 Mick   Monday, June 28, 2004, 05:20 GMT
Many have dynamic (changing) IP addresses Juan, even on broadband. You ban one, then they reconnect with another.
Damian   Monday, June 28, 2004, 07:41 GMT
I hope things settle down now and everything is back to normal!

I read the rules again just now..a wee bit more closely than I did when I first came in here and they are really sensible. I think I have infringed some of those rules myself on occasion by wandering off topic...I admit that, so I will endeavour to avoid doing so again.

This forum is all about LANGUAGE..... English which, as Tom and Michal say, really is a beautiful language and it's historical development is so interesting. Since coming into this forum I now see that other languages are equally fascinating and it is exciting to compare them with English, the core subject of this Forum. I love words and their use.... linguistics and verbal communication in whatever style or accent. I hope to make the effective use of language my career.

Some people enjoy the analysis of language and all the intricacies of grammar. Others, like myself, simply enjoy the more casual discussions about language in general and all the varieties in the use of English all over the world. It's great fun. I use the formal style of English writing this but in this forum it's nice to lapse into every day colloquial lingo as well. I guess it's true of all languages...there is "official"....the language you would use, say, during a job interview (?) and that you would use day-to-day when out with your friends. D'ye ken? Och, aye....course you do! Cheers!