Myth #1 - is it really a myth?

Tsama   Wednesday, July 07, 2004, 14:14 GMT
Hi everyboby,

I read your comments about learning english in a foreign country or not. I saw your comments very interesting. I am a learner english language to. So, acconding your comments, what's the best way to learn english? At home or in a foreign country? Me to, I learn at home, but my speaking is very poor, and I don't have too much opportunities to practice my language.
Damian   Wednesday, July 07, 2004, 18:59 GMT
Tsama:

hello

Are you able to listen to any English language radio programs or TV channels? That is one way to hear the language if you don't have too many chances to practise conversation. I know that is not as good as being able to speak it yourself with someone else.

As you mentioned a foreign country, well that is the best way if it is an English speaking country - as discussed in this forum. Your speaking skills are bound to improve with that sort of practice.

If you are learning and wish for improvement in your writing (if not speaking which isn't possible in here) you will not mind being corrected? If not, please say so.
blank   Thursday, July 08, 2004, 19:19 GMT
Damian,

In my opinion you shouldn't ask anyone if he/she wouldn't mind being correct. One of the aim of this forum is to learn and improve our writing/reading skill. So it musn't contain any mistakes if we want this forum helpful. Don't ask - just correct. I'm awaiting the same ;)
Damian   Thursday, July 08, 2004, 20:05 GMT
blank (Tsama?):

I will correct your post then, keeping as close as possible to what I think is your intended meaning.

"I have read your comments on learning English either at home or in a foreign country. I found your comments very interesting. I too am learning English. So, based on your comments, which is the best way to learn it - at home or in a foreign country? I am learning it at home, but I do not have many opportunities to practise my English."

There is a difference between practice and practise which confuses many people.

Practice = a noun: an action, something that is done or performed. Like "it is your practice to have lunch at midday". It has other meanings as well but I won't confuse you here.

Practise = a verb the actual act of doing something. To do or cause something to be done. Like: "you practise your English every day".

Hope this helps
blank (Pitt)   Thursday, July 08, 2004, 20:23 GMT
Damian,

Yes, it helps. And blank is not Tsama. Blank is blank. As everyone can see my advice was helpful. Now we all know the diffrence between 'practice' - a noun and 'practise' - a verb. Keep on. Then you can (we'll) make a handbook for English learners which'll contain excerpts only from Antimoons' forum ;) ......Any mistakes? Correct! Thanks!
Tom   Friday, July 09, 2004, 13:49 GMT
Mi5 Mick,

"He makes a good point there regarding the artificiality of talking in a foreign language with those who primarily speak your mother tongue. And the main problem with that is, you can be mislead or mislead each other..."

That's certainly true and that's why both learners should do their best to never make mistakes. First learn pronunciation and get input, then open your mouth.