I wish I liked milk

Xatufan   Thursday, July 15, 2004, 02:27 GMT
I want to ask you about four different topics:

1) Can I say "I wish I was rich" or it has to be "were"?

2) What's the different between "I wish I had a dog" and "I wish I would have a dog"?

3) The best translation for "I wish..." in Spanish might be "Ojalá...". Do you have a better translation?

4) In my GBA game "Harvest Moon", a girl called Popuri said the following sentence: "I didn't use to like milk, but now I love it". I read in a book that I can also say "I usedn't to like milk..." or "I didn't used to like milk..." (with the "d" in "used"). Which is better?
Jim   Thursday, July 15, 2004, 03:58 GMT
1) There are two answers: the pedantic one and the ... other one. The pedantic answer, the one you might get from a prescriptivist, would say that it must be "were". The other answer would say either is OK. I'd only ever use "were" and this is what I suggest if you're writing/speaking formally or doing an exam. However, in casual context you'll get away with "was".

2) The second sounds wrong, uneducated, even moronic to me. That is unless you really mean that you wouldn't have a dog but wish that you would. This hardly makes sense.

3) I don't have any better translation because I don't know much Spanish.

4) I don't know whether it's a question of which is better. They are both fine. I tend to prefer that one that you read in the book but it's by far the less commonly heard of the two.
Random Chappie   Thursday, July 15, 2004, 06:32 GMT
The best translation of "I wish" in French is "je souhaite" so in Spanish, it is probably "yo souhaito" or something completely different. Sorry, I know I'm not much help but there's always the slimmest chance that I am actually correct.
Miguel   Thursday, July 15, 2004, 16:01 GMT
The best translation for "I wish" in spanish is "ojala" there is no other translation.
"I wish I was rich" means "Ojala fuera rico"
Orion   Thursday, July 15, 2004, 19:11 GMT
Miguel: What about "desear"?

Deseo que fuera rico?

And I know no one thinks of it that way, but doesn't Ojala literally mean "Praise Allah"?
Xatufan   Friday, July 16, 2004, 01:55 GMT
Orion: I didn't know that, but it makes sense.

Miguel: What about "Quisiera ser rico"? It also works.
Juan   Friday, July 16, 2004, 03:24 GMT
Deseara ser rico
Juan   Friday, July 16, 2004, 03:25 GMT
Como quisiera ser rico
Xatufan   Friday, July 16, 2004, 20:30 GMT
Sí, yo también quiero.
Jordi   Saturday, July 17, 2004, 14:04 GMT
A mi también me gustaría ser rico.