Differences Between American and English English

Dulcinea del Toboso   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 21:41 GMT
"where he had had had she had had had had had had was correct"

parses to:

"Where he had had 'had', she had had 'had had'; 'had had' was correct."

Seen it before :-)

Now, for "Chicago", I've seen discussions where Chicagoans complained about non-Chicagoans saying "Chi-cah-go", whereas, the natives themselves claimed to pronounce it "Chi-caugo" (with the same -au- sound in "caught" or "cog". Come to think of it, "Chi-cog-o" probably best represents the sound.
Dulcinea del Toboso   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 21:46 GMT
...to clarify the above, the "caught", "cog", and "cot" are three different vowel sounds for me.
Damian   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 21:48 GMT
While he had had had, she had had had had; had had had had the teacher's approval.
CalifJim   Saturday, July 24, 2004, 03:22 GMT
While he had had had, she had had had had; had had had had the teacher's approval.

Even better! Thanks!
CG   Saturday, July 24, 2004, 19:07 GMT
Wow, and I was pleased when I used three hads in a row in a History essay.
Ryan   Saturday, July 24, 2004, 20:41 GMT
That is how Chicagoans pronounce the name of their city, Dulcinea. They are stereotyped by others to pronounce it like Chicaaahgo because of the way Chicagoans pronounce the rest of their /ae/ sounds. For some reason, though, they do not prounce that sound of their city in this way. I believe this tends to happen with the names of cities and other geographic places, especially in the UK -- a lot of holdover from old ways of pronouncing words. The drawn out /ae/ sound is probably a relatively new innovation. Most likely it can be partly attributed to large immigration from Eastern Europe.
Lauren   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 20:07 GMT
I'm from PA (US) and I use the word "mad" meaning insane like this:

She's gone mad.

Also, "mighty" sometimes is used in place of "very" ie. He is mighty strong. It's not very common though...
anand   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 20:25 GMT
Hello Sir,
i am new learner. can u end me a details of small & big vowels with details example so i can unde stand properly.And alo send me some new usage pakage in The ASCII Phonetic Alphabet so i can learn through that.
Thanking you
Anand
Tiff   Monday, July 26, 2004, 05:28 GMT
Americans use mad to mean: insane, angry and as a substitute for the word 'very' but enhanced (very very ....!). I think the diffentiation between "are you mad?" is the tone in which you say it. If you say it with indignation, you mean, are you crazy?! Said in juat a normal question format, it means are you angry.