Druggist, Pharmacist, and Apothecary

Justin   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 13:03 GMT
I got a little confused with them when learning English. Could you tell me how these words are used and the differences between them?

Thank you very much!
Ryan   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 19:59 GMT
Don't forget "chemist," which is what they call pharmacists in the UK!

I'm not sure about druggist and apothecary. I've heard the terms before, but they sound British to me, so somebody from the UK might be more qualified to answer this question. We call everyone a pharmacist who deals with drugs here in the US. "Apothecary" sounds like an older term for pharmacist to me and might have been the term used during the 1800s and early 1900s in the US.
Konrad Valentin   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 20:53 GMT
In Britain we say "chemist's." For example, "I went to the chemist's to pick up my prescription." We seldom use any of the others you mention.
Random Chappie   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 22:50 GMT
"Apothecary" is the term used by Shakespeare and Dickens.
"Chemist" is standard in the UK.
"Pharmacist" is standard in the US.
"Druggist" is technically a synonym for any of the above but it has a dodgy ring to it.