Do you think it is a good idea to learn english with Matt Groenin

Your name:   Sunday, August 01, 2004, 16:37 GMT
... But Fry's english isn't the best... and the others, well...
Steve K   Sunday, August 01, 2004, 17:14 GMT
I believe that someone learning English should imitate the Canadian or US West Coast accent (close to the same thing) as the standard North American accent. It is neutral and easily understood everywhere. You can also choose the BBC accent if you want to have a European flavour in your English. Only if you plan to live in New York or Boston or Texas or London or Liverpool or Capetown or Sydney or Singapore etc. should you bother with accents with a strong regional flavour.
Your name   Monday, August 02, 2004, 01:49 GMT
I´ve been looking for an actor -in a movie- with GenAm accent and with a neutral native accent.
Yeah, I know that there is not such a thing as 'neutral accent' and blah blah blah, but, you know...

I like audiobooks, but I think normal speaking is very different from reading aloud.
Ryan   Monday, August 02, 2004, 03:57 GMT
Zoiberg has a Jewish-American accent. His name is even Jewish with the stereotypical "berg" ending to it. I wouldn't call it a standard American accent at all. It seems to get mocked a lot in cartoons (South Park is another cartoon that does it).
all the sheep   Monday, August 02, 2004, 19:40 GMT
the voices for the simpsons .the actors who speak homer and marge , are they known from other stuff also ?
Elaine   Monday, August 02, 2004, 21:07 GMT
The woman who does the voice of 'Marge', Julie Kavner, was popular with American television audiences way back in the 1970s for her portrayal of Rhoda's sister, Brenda, on the sitcom "Rhoda". She was also a regular on "The Tracey Ullman Show" along with Dan Castelleneta (the guy who does voice of 'Homer').
Your name   Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 16:56 GMT
My vote is for Lisa, even though she speaks too fast (just like most american women).
Pat   Saturday, August 07, 2004, 09:06 GMT
Rust belt = the region around the Great Lakes that is known for factories and heavy industry (in the book _The Nine Nations of North America_, this region was called The Foundary). Typically, the states in this region are Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and probably parts of other neighboring states.>>

With those places, I would throw in the Lake Michigan shoreline that I would argue is THE HEART of this part of the country. Im talking about places like Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the Chicago area, and Gary, Indiana which you basicly mentioned (some of the most blue collar and industrized places in the entire country) I have also heard of West Virgina being referred to as the rest belt, becuase of all the coal mining and general working class atmoshphere.
Pat   Saturday, August 07, 2004, 09:08 GMT
I´ve been looking for an actor -in a movie- with GenAm accent and with a neutral native accent.
Yeah, I know that there is not such a thing as 'neutral accent' and blah blah blah, but, you know...>>

Ok, I would say for example that............. Bruce Willis has about the most standard American accent as you can get.
Your name:   Saturday, August 07, 2004, 20:11 GMT
Does Bruce Willis really and truly has a standard American accent or it's just a joke (like the 'Arnold Schwarzenegger' answer).
Homer Jay Simpson   Monday, August 09, 2004, 15:57 GMT
" Ok, I would say for example that............. Bruce Willis has about the most standard American accent as you can get. "

Yeah, right.
Dulcinea del Toboso   Monday, August 09, 2004, 23:13 GMT
South Park... I can never understand more than two words on that program. They speak as if they had rocks in their mouth.

It's easier to understand Boomhauer on King of the Hill.
Ben   Tuesday, August 10, 2004, 13:23 GMT
Americans can't really understand what they're saying on South Park, either. The show iesn't exactly known for its sparkling wit ...
Ryan   Wednesday, August 11, 2004, 01:32 GMT
South Park is hilarious. The characters do speak a mile a minute, though. It's about the opposite of old Peanuts cartoons where the child characters spoke in a nice leisurely pace that all adults could easily understand.
Ailian   Wednesday, August 11, 2004, 08:43 GMT
It's about the opposite of _Peanuts_ cartoons in every aspect, I'd say.

Still, I find _South Park_ to be easily comprehensible, if lewd, and that they speak at about the speed of the city children I know. The only characters I can't really comprehend (well, last time that I watched the show, which had to have been four years ago at least) are Kenny (but this is on purpose -- amusingly, it's easy to make out the "gist" of some of his muffled speech), Starvin' Marvin (speaking in a mock African language of clicks), and Ike (the adopted Canadian son who never really said anything of worth [that I recall] other than "kick the baby").

I'd also agree with Lisa having the most "standard" of accents of _The Simpons_ characters'; Bart's strikes me as a bit too much "young West Coast" in his intonation (it just keeps going up without reaching a conclusion).