Does ''mirror'' rhyme with ''nearer'' to you.

Bill   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 01:28 GMT
I pronounce ''mirror'' and ''nearer'' to rhyme. But I looked in a dictionary and it said that ''mirror'' has the ''i'' sound in ''bit'' and ''nearer'' has the ''ee'' sound in ''beet''.

Do you pronounce ''mirror'' and ''nearer'' to rhyme. And where are you from? Is it regional? Or is that dictionary just wrong?
Mi5 Mick   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 02:51 GMT
To me they don't rhyme but for many Americans I believe they do. "near" and "beet" don't rhyme for me either.
Mi5 Mick   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 03:28 GMT
* "near" and "beet" don't share the same vowel sound in my accent.
Julian   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 04:49 GMT
"Mirror" and "nearer" don't rhyme in my accent. (Los Angeles, CA)
Mxsmanic   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 09:06 GMT
They sound pretty much the same to me: [mirR] and [nirR]. The spectrograms look the same, too.
Bill   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 15:24 GMT
What about ''serious'' and ''Sirius''. Do you pronounce ''serious'' and ''Sirius'' the same way or differently? I pronounce them the same but my dictionary says that ''Sirius'' has the ''i'' sound in ''bit'' and that ''serious'' has the ''ee'' sound in ''beet''.
Steve K   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 16:06 GMT
Mirror and nearer sometimes rhyme and sometimes do not in my English. Usually the difference is like "bit and beer". I do not think people always pronounce words the same way.

Some people pronounce mirror to sound like "mere". Those people also say "pitcher" for "picture."
Marie   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 22:16 GMT
Yes Bill, people don't pronounce words the same even if its their mother tongue-- our different accents in all, you know.

I pronounce the 'e' in 'near' and 'serious' with the long 'e' sound.

I pronounce the 'i' in mirror with the short 'i' sound-- I would have pronounced the 'i' in 'sirius' this way too-- 'sirius' is new word for me.
Bill   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 22:30 GMT
Marie, Do you pronounce ''near'' and ''beet'' with the same vowel sound?

The vowel sound in those words is definitely different for me.

near-[nir]
beat-[bi:t]
Smith   Saturday, September 11, 2004, 23:07 GMT
In the American accent a lot of vowels commonly tend to merge before ''r''.

Mary, marry, and merry sound the same in a lot of accents.

''Mirror'' and ''nearer'' rhyme in a lot of accents.

''Hurry'' and ''furry'' rhyme in a lot of accents.
Jim   Thursday, September 16, 2004, 06:59 GMT
For me ''mirror'' and ''nearer'' don't rhyme nor do ''hurry'' and ''furry''.

"Near" and "beet" don't share the same vowel sound in my accent either.

I pronounce ''serious'' and ''Sirius'' differently same with "Mary", "marry", and "merry".

''mirror'' = /mir../
''nearer'' = /ni..r../
''hurry'' = /h^ri(:)/
''furry'' = /fe:ri(:)/
''knee" = /ni:/
"near" = /ni../
''bee" = /bi:/
"beer" = /bi../
"beet" = /bi:t/
''serious'' = /si..ri(:)..s/
''Sirius'' = /siri(:)..s/
"Mary" = /me..ri(:)/
"marry" = /m@ri(:)/
"merry" = /meri(:)/
CalifJim   Friday, September 17, 2004, 05:39 GMT
In AmEng, the difference between 'ee' and 'i' (beet/bit), between 'ay' and 'e' (say, fed), between 'oo' and 'u' (moon, push), and between 'oa' and 'o' (road, top) is neutralized by a following 'r'. This is supposedly due to the vowel-like nature of the 'r'. The 'ee', 'ay', 'oo', and 'oa' are considered (by some theorists) as two-component vowels. American English vowels, the theory goes, never have more than two components. Thus, with semi-vowel 'r', you can only have 'ir', 'er', 'ur', 'or' -- not 'eer', 'ayr', 'oor', 'oar'. (I'm not referring to spellings, here, of course!) -- unless you go to "two syllables", that is.

So, according to this theory, "beer" is 'bir' (one-syllable) or 'bee-r' (almost two syllables); "your" is 'yur' (one-syllable) or 'yoo-r' (almost two). The longer you make the vowel, the more the 'r' is squeezed out of the syllable and forced to make a little syllable of its own.

It's a little weird but may be worth thinking about. The underlying pattern of English does seem to be "long vowels" in "open syllables" and "short vowels" in "closed syllables", and this theory seems to be related to the long/short pattern. I'm not sure what to think about it.
CalifJim   Friday, September 17, 2004, 05:40 GMT
Correction: The contrast for 'O' should have been between 'oa' and 'au' (road, taught).