this is for Tom and every successful english learner

Tremmert   Tuesday, September 21, 2004, 08:06 GMT
When your site becomes free, and supports a language which I want to learn, let me know.
Damian   Tuesday, September 21, 2004, 10:40 GMT
<<When your site becomes free>>

Erm...as far as I know nothing but nothing comes for free in the American society, Mick...silly man!......not even a decent health service for its citizens unless you prove you can supply the bucks.
Maya l'abeille   Tuesday, September 21, 2004, 10:57 GMT
I've watched your video in several languages. Your language skills are really impressive – at least I can say this for your French and Italian, the two languages I speak the best and am the most familiar with.
But why don't you explain what your method exactly consists of?
(though I'm not ready to pay such fees every month, I'm just curious)
Mi5 Mick   Tuesday, September 21, 2004, 12:20 GMT
It's becoming like that here too, Damian.
Mi5 Mick   Tuesday, September 21, 2004, 12:42 GMT
Steve's accent in French is excellent I must say; better than any true Anglophone I've heard, but the extract may be well rehearsed!
Alex Estacado   Tuesday, September 21, 2004, 13:39 GMT
Aahhhh será cierto?

Todo es negocio en esta vida.
¿Quien se anima a entrarle al toro y probar?
Que nos pase la reseña de la experiencia.
Steve K   Tuesday, September 21, 2004, 14:35 GMT
Thank you for taking a look. A few comments.

The methodology is described both outside and inside the login. It is quite straight forward, and is what I would like feedback on. The detailed functionality takes a manual to explain since there are lots of ways in which words and phrases are counted and manipulated in a database to assist in learning, and there are many other features.

The learner must choose content of interest from a Library of natural and authentic (not textbook)content. The library has around 30 hours and will gradually expand to include hundreds of hours of content on every possible type of subject. The system tells the user how many new words there are for each individual learner in each content item. Should the user import content from the Internet he/she will be able to use all functions except that there will be no audio provided. All content in our Library has audio and text.

Learners can listen and read. They can download sound files. They can read and look up the meaning of, and save all words and phrases they do not understand, to a database which ties the words and phrases to all sentences which contain them in the library. Learners can ask a tutor for explanations and then put their effort into repeatedly listening (on MP3 player or such), reading and being tested on their new words and phrases, and creating custom lists of these words and phrases to use in their speaking and writing.Writing is analyzed by the tutor with correct phrases recommended to replace incorrect phrases. Grammatical terms are used to categorize errors for statistical purposes but the emphasis is on providing good phrases to learn and get used to rather than on grammar rules.

There is lots more, but it would be interesting to get some reaction.

At present we only offer English but expect to offer other languages in 3-6 months.

With regard to my fluency in French or other langauges. if you login in you are welcome to join me in a voice chat in French or any other language that I speak. I have learned languages using the principles of my system, although modern technology makes it much more effective.

The coupon number allows anyone to enter the site and use the functions free of charge.

"Todo es negocio en esta vida" says Alex. Nothing comes for free says Damian.

Not everything is business in life. But programmers expect to be paid. Computer manufacturers expect to be paid. Language teachers expect to be paid. This is for a simple reason. We no longer live in a barter economy. They need to get paid to buy their daily necessities. Likewise if if you invest in creating a service like The Linguist, you need to get paid, no?

I am perplexed by the "when it is free let me know" attitude. Why? If The Linguist site has no more value than all the free English content available on the web then it is not worth paying for. However, if the site has value for a learner, and allows the learner to make siginificant progress, because of its content, flexibility, functionality etc. ( as has been our experience), surely people will be willing to pay for it. If people will pay much more money to go to school , to buy books with CDs, to take private lessons etc. where results are often disappointing, why would they not pay for a site that will really help them, and liberate them in their learning. But that is my risk.

Or from a different perspective, to create a site like this costs a great deal of money. If the government pays for it, the money has come from tax-payers without their consent, even from those not remotely interested in language learning, and there is no real way of knowing if the investment of public money was justified by the result.So far I have paid to develop The Linguist because I am interested. Even though I doubt that I will recoup my costs, surely I should be expected to try.

But more than that, if I am able to get paid by happy users it will vindicate my efforts and those of my collaborators. It proves that it meets a need. I might add that we have free users and paying users. The latter group works much harder than the former.
Alex Estacado   Wednesday, September 22, 2004, 13:41 GMT
OK.
Estoy de acuerdo con Steve.
También es justo valorar el trabajo de los demás.
Y la calidad tiene un costo, eso que ni que.
Salu2.
Ben   Thursday, September 23, 2004, 12:58 GMT
as i posted this forum awhile ago, i have to say i'm quite satisfied with all of the repiles here. i have to say, Steve, i truly undestand your situation and i think you have given us plenty of ways to learn the languages effectively, as for me with out having to subscribe to your website,
Mxsmanic   Thursday, September 23, 2004, 19:13 GMT
Even if you have to rehearse and be very deliberate in order to speak without an accent, the fact remains that you are still speaking without an accent, which proves that you can do it. From that point on, it's just a matter of practicing enough so that the perfect pronunciation becomes automatic, instead of forced. Granted, sometimes this takes a lot of practice (and very deliberate practice, too, in the beginning).