What is the official language of the European Union?

Damian   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 07:20 GMT
Billy Connolly is awful in his stage performances and I can't stand watching him on TV and that's all there is to say, except that he should follow the crappy Sun in a permanent set in the west when he says things like that. Not a good idea to behead on stage though.....not a standard UK practice.

To be fair, Connolly was very good playing John Brown to Judi Dench's Queen Vic. In reality, Queen Victoria had difficulty sometimes understanding Brown's very strong brogue in spite of the fact that she was very familiar with the Scottish accent, seeing as she spent a lot of her time at Balmoral.
nic   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 07:56 GMT
Damian,

What is your (if you like it) favorite whiskey?
Easterner   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 07:58 GMT
nic,

>>What do you mean by centre (in the economic sense), Italy was at beginning of european foundation like Germany and France.<<

True, Italy too. What I meant is that there is an increasing difference between the various EU countries depending on their degree of being "integrated". I am curious about the outcome of the vote about the EU constitution. I expect that most people will not judge it very favourably, which is no wonder at all - I mean almost all of the "old" countries have a feeling of having "lost" due due to the latest expansion, the only "gain" being more burdens. Seen from my "vantage point", I feel that almost everybody is disappointed about the present state of the EU, in the "old" and "new" EU countries alike.
Chrissy   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 08:30 GMT
It is true that the European Union has several official languages. Still, what I have learned in school is that when someone addresses you in one language, you are to reply in the same language. This shows that Bertolomi is a rather rude person. No matter which language you feel more for, you should not put others down.

Regards from a girl who lives outside the EU
nic   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 08:36 GMT
Easterner,

I agree, i think the vote won't be positive but negative, see with british, french and germans, they don't seem to be happy.
nique   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 09:30 GMT
nic ta mère
nic   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 10:27 GMT
nique,

Désolé mais je ne peux pas tout faire en même temps, je suis déjà avec la tienne
niq   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 11:23 GMT
impossible, elle porte le hijab. kos omek
nic   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 12:01 GMT
alors avec ta soeur, et si elle porte le "hijab" (?), alors ta cousine, et si elle ausse....
la moman de Niq   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 12:19 GMT
Niq, tu voies bien que j'ai la bouche pleine!
nic   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 12:35 GMT
Et si on allait tous faire un pique nique!
niq   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 13:10 GMT
Damian   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 15:35 GMT
Nic:

Bonjour mon ami

Sorry to intervene here in your French conversation, but I wish to respond to your question.

Whisky is the normal spelling for Scotch..the spirit distilled here. This will shock you...I don't like it much at all. I've never touched it since an 18th birthday party in a pub when I went out of my skull drinking three normal measures....all as a chasers!

Whiskey is the Irish spirit. I think the Americans spell it that way too, like for Bourbon or JD?
nic   Friday, October 08, 2004, 09:57 GMT
Damian,

You don't surprise me, thanks for the information about whisky.
you don't surprise me because i am french and there are some french specialities i don't like, like most of the white wines.
I like whisky, Macallan is very good.
blank   Sunday, October 10, 2004, 02:17 GMT
I would like to say a couple of things. First of all, wasn't one of the rules on this forum that you couldn't post messages in a language other than English? Second, Adam, you know you could just attach a link instead of cutting and pasting all the time. And third, going back to the English language thing. English people don't suck at learning languages. What people need to understand is that money runs the world. Language is all about supply and demand. If there is a financial advantage for learning a language then people will learn it. That is why people learned Russian during the cold war, Japanese in the 80's, Arabic today, and probably Chinese tomorrow. It is why Americans learn Spanish. I don't think Europeans wake up in the morning and say to themselves "gee, I have all this free time on my hands, I think I'll learn another language so I can be a better person" They learn it because there is a financial incetive or simply an incentive to make their life easier. I tried to learn Spanish and Italian in high school. I even went to Spain for a summer and Lugano Switzerland for a year and it was pointless. Not only was I surrounded by English speaking students but everyone in the town spoke English as well. Even when I tried to speak Italian to them, they gave up and just started talking to me in English. Its not that English speaking people don't want to learn another language or are bad at it. There is just no place to practice it and the more people that learn English the harder its going to be. Did you guys know that in the next 100 years, 90% of the world's languages will be extict? Just something to think about.