''q'' in English

Bob   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 02:58 GMT
''Bob, if we are to take his word for it, makes a phonemic distinction that most of us don't make. The [Q] is Bob's own invention for this sound he claims to use.''

Is the distinction I make really so rare? I didn't know it was that rare? If it's so rare I might stop making it. Should I stop making the distinction so that I sound like most English speakers?
Jim   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 03:26 GMT
qu,

Truespel doesn't distinguish "Mary", "marry" and "merry". Don't use Truespel as your yard-stick.

I let Tom explain why he left out the distinctions he did:

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2004/5718.htm

[W] is the voiceless consonant spelt "wh" in "where", "when", etc. that is used by some.

Bob,

If you really do make this distinction, I don't really care whether you keep doing so or not. You make yourself understood, right? That's the main thing.
Bob   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 03:39 GMT
''If you really do make this distinction, I don't really care whether you keep doing so or not. You make yourself understood, right? That's the main thing.''

Well, what I was asking is, is it really so rare to make the distinction?

Some people have told me before that my accent sounds archaic.

I don't think truespel is right to leave out [Q]. Shouldn't (if spelling is to reformed), a spelling reform proposal favour all accents and thus shew all the distinctions made in all dialects? (or should it merge the rare distinctions)?
qu   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 03:42 GMT
''Truespel doesn't distinguish "Mary", "marry" and "merry". Don't use Truespel as your yard-stick.''

Why should it? Those words are homonyms.

I disagree that spelling reform should favor including the [Q] phoneme that Bob uses because it's so rare and the same goes for [W].
qu   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 03:46 GMT
Jim, do you make the [Q] distinction? I'm curious as to what words [Q] would be in.
Jim   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:19 GMT
"Mary", "marry" and "merry" are homonyms for some (not all) Americans.

Would I be questioning whether this so-called distinction exists if I made it?
qu   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:24 GMT
''Would I be questioning whether this so-called distinction exists if I made it?''

I guess not. Do you also question whether the so-called distinction exists between [w] and [W]?

I don't believe that [Q] and [W] are really any different phonetically from [kw] and [hw].
Jim   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:28 GMT
Phonetically different they may be but from a phonological point of view, they are the same.
American   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:30 GMT
''Would I be questioning whether this so-called distinction exists if I made it?''

I always similarly question whether the so-called ''bad/lad'' vowel distinction exists and whether the ''w/wh'' distinction exists. I believe that both these distinctions and Bob's [Q] distinction exist but should be ignored in a phonemic spelling reform.
Bob   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:34 GMT
''Phonetically different they may be but from a phonological point of view, they are the same.''

How I pronounce these words,

quit-[Qit]
kwanzaa-[kwa:nz..]
whine-[Wain]
Huang-[hw@N]

There not phonetically the same for me. How do you pronounce the following words?
qu   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:39 GMT
Bob, you are wrong, [Q] and [W] and also [kw] and [hw] are the same phonemically and phonetically.
Jim   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:40 GMT
I believe spelling reform should be ignored.

quit-[kwit]
whine-[wain]

kwanzaa & Huang - I've never pronounced them.
Willy   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:49 GMT
''I believe spelling reform should be ignored.''

Why? Or in my suggested spelling reform idea, (H)wei?

Spelling is very illogical. Why should ''oo'' for example represent both [u:] as in ''food'' and [wo:] as in ''book''? Shouldn't since those are different sounds, they should be written differently?
The Antiwilly   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:53 GMT
You, Willy, are very illogical.