Shrek 2

Kazakh   Tuesday, October 05, 2004, 04:33 GMT
A few questions about suspected jokes I don't get.

1. They are in a barn, Donkey falls asleep first (after the beauty divine potion), Puss says 'Hey boss, let's shave him.'

2. Shrek needs a teardrop to activate the card and asks Donkey to think of the saddest thing that ever happened to him, Donkey replies with '... then started beating me with the stick going peniata-peniata...' What it's all about?

3. Ugly stepsister asks Donkey-the-Steed 'Hey, why the long face?' Looks like that was a reference to something well-known.
Julian   Tuesday, October 05, 2004, 05:38 GMT
I haven't seen the film, but here's my take on the meaning of the jokes:

1. Shaving someone's hair, eyebrows, pubes, or other part of the body is a well-known and cliche hazing ritual that occurs at frat parties. A person passes out from an all-night drinking binge only to wake up the next morning with a part of his body shaved bald.

2. Now that's sad...Donkey was apparently mistaken for a piñata and beaten with a stick (FYI: piñatas are hollow papier-mâché containers in the shape of animals or cartoon characters that are filled with candies or coins and raised up high with a rope. Children are then blindfolded and take turns beating it with a stick until it breaks open, spilling all its contents. Popular among Latin-American celebrations).

3. Well, donkeys do have long faces, but my guess is it's in reference to Eeyore from the Winnie the Pooh cartoons, the donkey who's always moping around in such a sad, woeful state.
Tremmert   Tuesday, October 05, 2004, 07:56 GMT
Similar to the joke where a barman asks a horse "why the long face?" It's a pun on a horse's literally long face, and the English idiom 'long faced' meaning, as you said, sad or depressed.
Xatufan   Saturday, October 09, 2004, 01:22 GMT
In the Spanish version, instead of the piñata, Donkey said "Cuando jugaron conmigo 'Póngale la cola al burro' ". It is also a traditional game in L. America.