Literature and Language learning

Liliana Sanchez   Tuesday, October 05, 2004, 17:49 GMT
How literature texts help students to learn English?

Why literature (authentic material) is useful for learning English?

I would like to know what problems teachers face when they apply texts in the English classroom.

Thanks
Beginner   Monday, October 11, 2004, 08:38 GMT
I'm intereste in this too.
Damian   Tuesday, October 12, 2004, 07:28 GMT
Studying the literature of any language is one of the best, if not the best, ways to learn it and to get a "feel" for it. Language is obviously all about words, and words are the way we communicate with each other, verbal and written. We learn one from the other in whatever is our native language.

Literature is the wrtitten language and contains all the various styles of expression involving imagination and mood and thoughts and ideas as well as to relate everything that makes up the human condition. It is characterized by the culture of any society.

Once you acquire all the rudimentary knowledge of English language construction you then build on this by studying literature at various levels, progressing from one to another. In other words, you read as much as you can. Not only do you familiarise yourself with good and correct language usage but you immerse yourself in the subject matter of the material.

By doing this your level of competence is bound to improve and then you can enjoy the vast amount of English literature that is out there, from the classical authors of the past to all the fantastic modern day writers. You can concentrate on those whose style and subject matter you enjoy th most.

Liliana...your name suggests you are female. Just as an example, one of the most popular female writers in the English language is Jane Austen and her works are just as popular today as they have ever been. Her use of the English language is superb, and easy to read. The same goes for those other female writers, from a period slightly later than Jane Austen.....the Bronte sisters, particularly Charlotte. Every single novel by these authors has been serialised on TV and shown worldwide, which shows just how popular and accessible they have been to people all over the world interested in English literature.

I have always enjoyed reading since I was able to string two words together..the first book I read was "Children of the New Forest", set in 17th century England at the time of the Civil War between King and Parliament. Then I read "Lorna Doone" by R D Blackmore, powerful stuff about feuding families at about the same period.

I really enjoy present day authors just as much, and of course you are able to relate to contemporary situations, although the basics of human nature and emotions and behavious never change...just manifest themselves differntly, perhaps. My current favourite is Ian Rankin, not just because he is Scottish and a crime writer whose hero is Inspector Rebus operates in my home city. I love his style.

So there you have it....read and study the literature and you really get to grips with English and enjoy the subject matter as well as develop your skills and level of competence, which can only improve.

I can't really comment on what problems teachers face in the classroom with regard to the application of texts in English...I would imagine it depends on her/his level of competence as a teacher and her/his ability to instil enthusiasm and interest. I have no experience as a teacher....I have just emerged from the student perspective.

I have enjoyed nearly every
mjd   Tuesday, October 12, 2004, 07:32 GMT
Yeah, I think literature is a great way to learn a language. Sure, no one speaks as they write, but it gives you a solid grasp on stylistic writing. Once you've got reading and writing down, communication becomes much easier.
Damian   Tuesday, October 12, 2004, 07:33 GMT
<<and behavious never change>>

"behavious" = behaviour, or better still.. "behaviour patterns"
Damian   Tuesday, October 12, 2004, 07:37 GMT
<<I have enjoyed nearly every >>

Another apology...I mean to add "nearly everything I have read" I'm in too much of a rush to get going this morning but I've really got to earn a crust. Bye