Possessive

Dan   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 17:12 GMT
How do you pronounce the possessive of names which end in /s/?,
e.g Ross's, Jess's, eytc.
David Winters   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 17:27 GMT
Imagine that the apostrophe represents a short "e" (as in "ever" and "egg").

Ross's = Ross[e]s
Jess's = Jess[e]s
Louis's = Louis[e]s

Etc, etc, etc. This may or may not be the correct method to do so, but it works for me.
Sanja   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 18:51 GMT
I thought that the possessive of names which end in "s" don't need an apostrophe, like for example James' and not James's. Is that right?
Mxsmanic   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 19:34 GMT
Strictly speaking, there should be only an apostrophe, and not an additional 's', and there should be no change in pronunciation. However, this rule is widely ignored today, probably because it's handy to have an audible indication of the possessive case, even if it's awkward to pronounce.
Sanja   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 20:09 GMT
OK, thanks.
Dan   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 20:14 GMT
Isn't it pronounce

Ross's Ro:siz?
Adam   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 23:20 GMT
I think they all end in apostrophe S.

So "James" would become "James's".

That's what I was taught.
mjd   Friday, October 15, 2004, 00:54 GMT
I believe James's or James' are considered acceptable.
Jim   Friday, October 15, 2004, 06:57 GMT
I'd spell it "Ross' cat" and pronounce it /ros..sk@t/.
lumberjack   Friday, October 15, 2004, 07:38 GMT
why then is it sometime written like this:

eg. the students' flat. the teachers' room.
Jim   Friday, October 15, 2004, 07:48 GMT
Because it's the flat/room of more than one student/teacher. The rules for writing the possessive are the same whether the "s" is there as a pluralising suffix or not.
Jim   Friday, October 15, 2004, 08:03 GMT
Dan,

It's not about words ending in the phoneme /s/. It's a question of which letter it ends with. "Ounce" ends with /s/ but you'd write "The ounce's volume depends on what standard you're using." "Dogs" ends with /z/ but you'd write "The dogs' barks are worse than their bites."
Sanja   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 15:34 GMT
I was taught to write "James' (something)" and according to that, "James's" would be incorrect.
Tremmert   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 15:39 GMT
Then it's just a matter of convention. According to Strunk and White it would be apostrophe s regardless of the final letter (http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html#1).
Damian   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 17:20 GMT
Streets / squares in the UK:

St James's Square, Edinburgh
St James's Palace, London
St Giles Street, Edinburgh
St Giles High Street, London

St Silas' Place, Edinburgh in most maps. But the street signs simply say St Silas Place.

I'm not sure why Silas is different. It just seems more natural to say St James's than it is to say St Silas's for some reason.

Mjd is correct...you can say "this is James's book" or "this is James' book".

Different publishers use their own standard version of these possessive forms in the case of names ending in "s".

In general , just add an apostrophe at the end of plural words ending in "s": These are the ladies' rooms.