Southern French Regional Language??? Help.

Jordi   Thursday, October 28, 2004, 10:07 GMT
Ò la bela Elionor l'ai oblidada! Yes, I forgot beautiful Eleanor! Ricard lo Cor de Lion was a great troubadour in Occitan who favoured both men and women equally. If only the Occitans knew more about their great past...
Ottawan   Thursday, October 28, 2004, 13:26 GMT
Well Jordi... give me some ideas where I can find out about my great past and I will.
Jordi   Thursday, October 28, 2004, 14:13 GMT
Dear Gascon-Ottawan:
I suggest these two. The Institut d'Estudis Occitans is the official body that studies the Occitan language. They have a Gascon section (second address). Since you speak French I suggest you contact them in French and I trust they will give you as much information as you need. Good luck and I'm sure that a search, perhaps in French in your case, will tell you a lot about the Gers, where your father was born, which does happen to be in Gascony.

institut d'estudis occitans
... l'IEO, qu'es aquò ? réponses à quelques questions de base sur l’Institut d’Estudis Occitans (en français). Lo CA e lo bureu. las seccions departamentalas. ...
www.cco.asso.fr/ieo/ - 10k - En caché - Páginas similares

Arcuelh... Contactà'ns...
... L'Institut d'Estudis Occitans qu'a per amira : - la direccion, l ... La seccion deus
Pirenèus Atlantics que s'encuenta ... dens la soa varietat gascona.' ( Extrèit de ...
www.gasconlanas.com/gl.php?rub=3&lang=gas - 12k - En caché - Páginas similares
Ottawan   Thursday, October 28, 2004, 14:39 GMT
All I can do is smile... thanks.
Elaine   Thursday, October 28, 2004, 18:25 GMT
>> Ricard lo Cor de Lion was a great troubadour in Occitan who favoured both men and women equally.

I don't seem to recall this little fact in "The Lion in Winter". ;-)
Jordi   Thursday, October 28, 2004, 18:35 GMT
His original Occitan verses speak for themselves and quite a lot of gossip has been going on for centuries amongst historians ;-)
Ottawan   Friday, October 29, 2004, 20:31 GMT
Jordi: I have seen some of your other posts. Are you a historian? Or a linguist?

How have you managed to develop such a broad knowledge of all the local cultures of the region? Just wondering.
Jordi   Saturday, October 30, 2004, 08:04 GMT
Dear Gascon-Ottawan:
First, I'm 45 and I have a teenage son and daughter. I've had a longer life and I've always been the bookworm kind. Yes, I'm a university qualified linguist, interpreter and translator. I have studied the languages and dialects of the Iberian Peninsula and France very well. My great passion is Catalan and also Occitan dialects. History is also a great passion since I'm from a land where I had to discover a history that wasn't taught in schools. That includes European and Western Civilisation history as well.
Other posters also know I was born in Marselha (the original Occitan name, Marseilles en English) of Catalan parents and I was brought up as a child in Australia. I live in Catalonia since I was a teenager. I now work in the tourism and travel trade and travel widely all over Europe.
I came through ANTIMOON several months ago and it's fun to write here and to read some of the other messages. We do have have some great posters. There are periods when I have more time than others.
Damian   Saturday, October 30, 2004, 08:24 GMT
<mel - honey>......this is the same word in Welsh
Jordi   Saturday, October 30, 2004, 08:43 GMT
Hello Damian,
Nice weather down here, about 25º and lots of sunshine. I'm going out for the day to the country. It'll be terrible the end of next week when I'll be in London for 8 days. Lots of work and I can't find my umbrella.
A Latinism in Welsh from "mel, mellis" meaning "honey" but also sweetness, charm or softness.