What does that mean ?

MOD   Sunday, October 31, 2004, 10:37 GMT
Hello !
I'm new at this message board. I've got two questions that I can't find the answers to.

1.Astonished, the people who had remained behind began to feel indignant.
Disgusted, more people decided to leave, saying it was pure charlatanism.

I don't get the hang of that strange syntax. Why are 'astonished' and 'disgusted' in such a strange position in the senteces ? Is it possible to write them in a different way ? If so, how would you do that ?

2. I once saw in a newspaper a headline "England's fans..." . Why not "English fans" ?

THanks in advance
Ottawan   Sunday, October 31, 2004, 17:06 GMT
Those words are being used as literary devices. In novels, writers use that kind of syntax to convey feelings and a sense of spoken language.

The more normal structures of those sentences, i.e. "The people who remained behind were astonished and began to feel indignant."; and "Some people became disgusted and decided to leave, saying it was pure charlatanism", are actually more boring and more awkward to read.

You would never use this form of English in speech, or in business language. You wouldn't even use it in a lot of fiction, because the form is a bit melodramatic.

As for "England's fans" instead of "English fans"... they mean different things. "England's fans" (as in, say, a Rugby game) would mean the fans of the England team - not all of whom are necessarily English. Or in another context it could mean people who are not from England who are fans of the country."

"English fans", are the fans from England, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are the fans OF England. For example, English fans could be attending a football game that doesn't even involve England.

I hope this helps.
Anna   Sunday, October 31, 2004, 17:13 GMT
I'd say England's fans refers to people who adore England. They don't necessarily need to be English, they could be French, Estonian and so on.
English fans on the other hand could refer to people who are English and are fans of something totally different, for example English football fans usually doesn't refer to the fans of English football but people who come from England and are fans of any football. See what I mean..?
Anna   Sunday, October 31, 2004, 17:15 GMT
Oops, looks like I was late :)